Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #1 
caljamsam

Who are the friendlies?

Does anyone know what type of different fish I can put into my betta's tank? I want them to be friendly towards each other. Also how do you feed two different types of species in the same tank? And how many members of the other species can or should I add? It's just a five galloner to begin with.

Lately poor lil' Red looks awful lonely in there
caljamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

First and foremost, betta fish are SOLITARY. They do not enjoy the company of other fish. While some people will claim that their betta enjoys the company of "insert here", ten more people will talk about how their betta got stressed, attacked the new fish, or was even injured by another fish.

That being said, there are a few species of animals that can work for your tank, they are snails and some species of shrimp (mainly ghosts and cherry red). A snail would be your best bet as it is the least likely to be attacked by a betta.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #3 
eemmais

Well for a five gallon you really should only do snails or shrimp. I think that bettas can be happy with other fish, but only with the right kind and if the tank is large enough.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #4 
caljamsam

Snails and shrimp don't float my boat.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #5 
caljamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
First and foremost, betta fish are SOLITARY. They do not enjoy the company of other fish. While some people will claim that their betta enjoys the company of "insert here", ten more people will talk about how their betta got stressed, attacked the new fish, or was even injured by another fish.

That being said, there are a few species of animals that can work for your tank, they are snails and some species of shrimp (mainly ghosts and cherry red). A snail would be your best bet as it is the least likely to be attacked by a betta.
Well, he's got me I suppose.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #6 
eemmais

Quote:
Originally Posted by caljamsam View Post
Snails and shrimp don't float my boat.
If you upgraded to a ten gallon, then you could add other fish. What about dividing your five gallon, or getting a ten gallon and dividing that? Then you could have two bettas.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #7 
eatmice2010

For a 5g you can only do snails or shrimp. If you want to add fish then you need to up grade to a ten, but even for a ten you can only real add 1-3 SMALL fish and either snails or shrimp. If you want to do schools of different fish then you will need a 20g. But like Kytkattin said they are solitary fish, if you want to add other fish or aquatic animals then you should get to know your bettas personality more, they might get over stressed from another animal.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

I'm willing to bet that your betta isn't really lonely. bettas like attention. Mine goes as far as not moving at all if i so much as talk to my cichilid. I only got a tank-mate for my beta, because i had a 20g and i got tired of hearing my boyfriend make fun of me for having a single fish in a 20g tank. *sigh* Since it's a 5g, I don't think that you really need anything else in it other than your spoiled beta! I say spoiled in the most respectful way, of course. ;)

Maybe add some real or silk plants? More hiding places?

Now that my opinion is out of the way, I can tell you more about tank-mates incase you get a larger tank later on down the road (don't rush it. Your betta is your baby and they know it!). I answered a question that someone was asking regarding their 10g: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=126971
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #9 
MistersMom

Rosey red minnows and feeder goldfish seem to get along with my Betta perfectly.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #10 
Kytkattin

I did leave out that I think bettas are very people oriented. I do strongly believe that they are happiest when you are looking at them or otherwise admiring them. Spending time with him is definitely something that most bettas will appreciate more than anything in his turf.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote