Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #1 
Demysta

A little help here, guys?

So I've had my new betta Orpheus for just about three weeks now, however I've noticed he began to develop fin melt on his anal fin. It isn't too bad, but it does look horrible.
Anyways, I began to treat him with Furan-2 for it for the past three days and the fin melt seems to have stopped, however we now have a new problem. He now has a little white fuzzy growth stuck to his face near his eye. My question now is... would you guys still suggest I treat with the Furan-2? I have Maracyn 2 if that is any better, but I am kind of lacking in money right now to buy new meds. And before you ask about pics, I only have an iPhone 4 which is dreadful at taking pics of a rounded tank, and my little fella is very camera shy. :(

Oh, and here's my info.

Housing
What size is your tank? 4 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen carnivore fish food (just has frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, and daphnia in it), and freeze dried blood worms as treats
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two very small portions once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Normally one 50% and one 100% a week. Since treating him, I've given him 50% water changes once a day along with medication.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Aqua Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Anal fin is ragged and deteriorating. Ends are curling. Small white fuzzy growth on his cheek.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Noticed the fin melt a few days ago, just noticed the fuzzy growth today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, three days ago. I've treated him with Furan-2.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just got him three weeks ago, and this is the first illness I've seen on him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe 5 months? Not sure.
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #2 
callistra

How long has he been on furan 2? I would not treat with antibiotics under a week. Just doesn't work in my experience. Did he develop the fuzz during treatment or after it was stopped?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #3 
Demysta

Thanks for your reply! He's been on Furan-2 for 3 days now, and I only noticed the fuzzy growth had appeared this morning, so it appeared while he's still being treated.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #4 
Demysta

Update: Its been day 4 of his treatment with the Furan-2. The fuzzy growth I described earlier has since gone, but the fin melt is still a problem. I've just now given him a 100% water change and am acclimating him. After the full 5 day treatment of the Furan-2, would it be wise to give him some aquarium salt treatment to help his fins grow back, or should I just keep giving him partial daily water changes daily and the 100% once a week to ensure his water stays clean?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Try to do 7 days of furan-2, as callistra said, if you treat under a week, then it doesnt really help.

AS for AQ salt, If his fin melt hasnt improved by the end of the furan-2 treatment then I would go ahead and do a salt treatment. You can do the full 10 days, or stop when you see a good amount of improvement, up to you.

Goodluck with your fishy!!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #6 
Demysta

Sounds good :D I'll keep at it then and hope for the best for this little guy! Hopefully the Furan-2 will do the trick on its own, but it really doesn't look like it at this point. XD Thanks a lot for the advice you guys! I appreciate it :)