Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #1 
Maryacr

Pineapple hideout...

My betta Skye was doing good up until a week ago. We added the heater and a hideout and his fins unclamped and he was handsome again... For some reason in the last week he is all clamped up again. Temp is good, eating fine... I'm wondering about this pineapple hideout... Think it could be producing some funk?
Attached Images

Maryacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #2 
Krys

Take it out. Right now, and do a 100% water change. That hideout has a metal base in it that leaks harmful chemicals into the water.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #3 
Maryacr

Thanks... That's what I was thinking too. It just didn't seem right to me. What can I get for a hideout... ? I'm so confused... Is natural plants better... Just fill it with those?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #4 
White Mage

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! ugggggghhhhhhhhh

My sister has that pineapple, omg as many times we've been to the petstore last week the people know our names -.-

Why are they allowed to sell toxic items!? ugh.
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #5 
Maryacr

I know the idiot that worked there is the one that recommended it to me... I'm so annoyed.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #6 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryacr View Post
Thanks... That's what I was thinking too. It just didn't seem right to me. What can I get for a hideout... ? I'm so confused... Is natural plants better... Just fill it with those?
Plastic and silk plants are fine as long as they don't have a metal base. and I only get plastic or pure ceramic hideouts. Believe when I say the cheaper hideouts are the better ones, because they're just plastic or clay. Also make sure if you do go ceramic, that the clay is WHITE CLAY, red or bisque-color actually has iron in it, that's what makes it red or tan.

Those little psychedelic caves at Walmart are just fine, the right size, white clay, and painted with a dye rather than a glaze, and are only like $1.19 or $2.00. they also have some bags of plastic and silk plants that aren't too expensive.

Last edited by Krys; 02-07-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #7 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! ugggggghhhhhhhhh

My sister has that pineapple, omg as many times we've been to the petstore last week the people know our names -.-

Why are they allowed to sell toxic items!? ugh.
Chances are it's an off-brand hideout and it hasn't been approved or recalled yet for lack of proof. The Spongebob one also has the same problem. If it seems oddly heavy for it's size and thickness, it's probably a bad idea and has a metal base or frame.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #8 
Maryacr

I prefer to get a small hideout... Then fill it with natural plants... Which are safe and most liked? I know have some in there which he does enjoy but i would like to get different ones too...
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #9 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryacr View Post
I prefer to get a small hideout... Then fill it with natural plants... Which are safe and most liked? I know have some in there which he does enjoy but i would like to get different ones too...
Well if you know he likes a certain kind, you can be safe and stick with those. But all bettas love the silk plants. But i've never really had a betta that's ever "complained" about plastic plants either.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #10 
Maryacr

Went to petsmart...

Took back our pineapple, complained... And got a new hideout. Skye seems to enjoy it so far. And is swimming in and out and all over...

P.s. I don't know why the photos are upside down... I have tried everything to rotate them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Maryacr; 02-07-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Photo added