Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

Some are less aggressive than others. I feed 4-6 NLS (.5 mm pencil tip size) a day and I spread it out two or three times a day (so 3 twice a day or 2 three times a day). Until the swelling goes down, I would feed him less.

I have one fish who is less active than my others so I feed him less. If the bloat is a continuous issue, you'll have to figure out a good amount to feed each day and probably do a fast day each week or switch up the number of pellets you feed a day. They are all different... My fish each get a different amount of food depending on their activity level, size, and how easily bloated they get.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #22 
breezywillow

Ok thanks :) I'm also going to try to get some frozen daphnia when I get off this weekend and maybe use that once a week if he keeps getting bloated, Ive heard a few bad things about the Hikari Bio Gold, of course after I bought it lol but I was also going to try to look for some Omega One, which I heard is alot better and keeps them from bloating so much, Im just not sure if my LFS or LPS carry it or NLS
breezywillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #23 
AyalaCookiejar

Omega One is usually easier to find but NLS is a little better and its great for small mouths! It came in handy when I got my young girls.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #24 
breezywillow

Yeah, they have the Omega One online at petsmart but no NLS :( I wonder how big the Omega One pellets are, I think the reason he wouldn't eat the Tetra Mini pellets is because they were still too big for him, he is pretty small. I may just have to break down and order the NLS offline, it doesn't look too bad though, looks like the shipping will probably cost me more than the food lol
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #25 
AyalaCookiejar

The Omega One pellets are smaller than TetraBetta pellets (the only kind by tetra I have had) but larger than NLS. Petco has NLS but not petsmart.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #26 
Krys

I feed my bettas a pinhead sized piece of uncooked pea when they have bloating problems. I know people say it's not good for them, but everytime i've fed it to them, it knocked out the bloating problem pretty quickly, help with swim bladder disorder too sometimes. as long as you don't feed it to them everyday, it's should be fine. Peas are like laxatives to fish, just make sure you don't feed them the skin, you want the inside of the pea, uncooked, but soft, like from a defrosted bag of frozen peas, or from canned peas without any added salt in the canning water.

I would fast him for a couple days, and if it doesn't improve, try a piece of pea. :3
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #27 
breezywillow

Unfortunately the closests petco is over 30 miles away :( Im prob going to stop at petsmart this weekend and get a look at the Omega One food and if it seems too big, I will prob just end up ordering NLS offline. I've been really scared to try the pea thing since everyone seems so against it. I figured I would save that for a last resort kind of thing if fasting him didnt work but fasting him for the last 36 hours has seemed to help, his belly is almost normal now. I just dont want to have to fast him every other day after feeding him. Hopefully with the better food he wont get this way whenever I feed him :) Thanks so much for your help guys :)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #28 
Krys

A lot of people hate the peas. But they do work. I've never had a fish get sick from eating a piece of pea. if anything, by the end of the day, they're back to normal.

Toga bloats after he eat all the time, but i don't give him a piece of pea each time, cause that would be everyday, and THAT'S BAD. I've figured out that he bloats because he eats too quickly and ends up eating some air. Doesn't matter what food i give him. I think i've seen him burp up some of the air before.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #29 
AyalaCookiejar

I use Epsom salt when necessary. I personally wouldn't feed peas to any of my own fish.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #30 
breezywillow

He seems to be doing better, I have sparingly feed him but when I came home today he had EATEN my mystery snails antennas off!!!! My poor little Gary was so traumatized he wouldn't come out of his shell and even after I moved him to a small 1L tank, he would jump and retreat to his shell every time the water moved :( I am going to go tomorrow and get a divider for the tank. I really hope Weebles didn't do this because I had been fasting him and cutting back on his food while bloated. I think you may be onto something Krys. When I fed him tonight he gobbled down the two pellets I gave him very quickly and started swelling before my eyes. After a few minutes, with no poop, he released a few bubbles and the swelling went right down. It was pretty crazy. Gah, I am just sick over my poor snail being half eaten alive :(