Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #1 
WinnieTabz

male betta with females??

Hey forums, I've been reading around about male betta and a female betta, buts its always about 1 male and 1 female. I'm planning on having 1 male and 2-3 females, has anyone tried it? Any opinions please and thank you
WinnieTabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #2 
Hershey

I'd advise against it. The male could attack your females and people only do it for breeding them. There are those super--and I mean super rare when there have been no problems-- but I'm saying no.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #3 
Luimeril

nope. never. x: you can not house males with females. some have had success, but more often than not, it ends in a fight, and those cases are with super young bettas that grew up together in a huge tank, and a blind male who lives in a sorority.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #4 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
my female's been attacking my male. don't do it and I blame my dad
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #5 
Luimeril

they're super territorial fish. 's why they attack each other, their reflection, and other, colorful, finny fish(like guppies for example).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #6 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
I know
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #7 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
NOOOOOOOO, except when breeding, and maybe not even then.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #8 
bryanacute

That's the #1 no no. In like a giant 50+ gallon tank I have heard of keeping 2 males that have lived together all their lives but that even is extremely dangerous. I say no you shouldn't.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

It RARELY ever works & in the cases it has, the tank is usually huge. It's not a risk I'd wants to take.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

It has worked for me for a year BUT I would not recommned it and I certainly did not do it on purpose. One of the young females I got turned out to NOT be a female and was incorrectly labled by petco. He lives with 5 females in a planted 20G. I keept him with the ladies only because I have never seen any aggression other then chasing and flairing. And seldom nipped fins - even then its usually the girls going at it and not him. Since they have been together since they were very young and it has been about a year - and since a soroity is a risk in general, I figure I might as well just let him be.

I did walk in one day and found the one in my avatar floating in a C shape and him chasing off after something. Took me a minute to realize they were "getting it on". It was a pretty cool thing to watch. It would of been even cooler if at least one egg managed to hatch and survive.

He was NEVER aggressive as he got older so the only clue I had was his fins were getting longer...

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-22-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote