Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 
Syriiven

New Bettas, Work Ahead

So...been looking forward to today for a while. The plan was Hobbit, lunch, bettas, home. I dont live in the city, so was not prepared for nothing being open until noon, and everything closing at six. And the earliest movie showing at 3.

So we got the plants and nerites first, then discovered Lethbridge had a geand total of 11 bettas for sale - all but one female in super poor condition.

I picked that female, and picked up this tiny steel-colored ct male. He had spunk, but seemed very under nourished. But then they wouldnt discount, said if he dies they'll just replace them -_-;. Then she was none to gental putting them into bags, spun the bags instead of twisting the top and that messed the little guy up pretty bad. Oh, this is water from a goldfish tank with who knows what in it, not fresh water.

-sigh- Then the theatee wouldnt let me keep the fish with me, so they're tucked into a styrofoam box and wrapped in blankets in the car right now. In Canada. In December. -_-;

I will post pictures as soon as I have them safe at home in their QT tanks. But I needed to rant; no one around me seems to understand why today has just been so damn wrong! And I wont be going to that LFS again. Putting idiot prett girls in charge if crap they dont know a thing about! Not letting fish in a case sit in a warm theater because its freezing outside.

If I ciuld've skipped the movie, I would gave, but its our xmas present to her...

-sigh- I just hope they're okay.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Yikes! Hope they are okay. 2 hours in our weather? That's a slim chance.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #3 
fleetfish

Awww ... I would have snuck the bettas into the theatre, kept them in my coat or bag, and hoped that they wouldn't get too spooked by movie noises. I've done that a few times. Hopefully they're okay!
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #4 
mattoboy

Hope they turn out alright!
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #5 
Syriiven

They're alright and now both in 3 gallon tanks. It's been quite a horrible day -_-;

We got the hornwart and java fern, so all tanks except Demi have some floating green and Slyph (new tiny guy) got the Java fern cause he's super timid and I thought he could use the extra hiding space. He also got Phy's t-rex skull.

And I found a bunch of tiny hi-jacker snails ont he hornwart, so I'll be keeping a very close eye out for anymore.

And Kalec harassed the snails in their bag as they acclimated - and one has serious holes in his shell. Shop had water at 6.0 pH - not so good for snails. So with my higher pH, hopefully his shell will be okay. Still, close monitoring.

So then, the new guys and their respective tanks.

Sylvannas - ?? Female - 3g cylindrical
- she has a teal/blue color to her fins and body when she's not striped, so photos are very few for right now

and Slyph, CT male - 3g ,...something

Thank you all for your support and concern over them, but everyone made it home okay =) Hopefully in a few days Slyph will have some perk, and Sylvannas will develop some healthier color.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #6 
mattoboy

Aw there cute :)
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #7 
Syriiven

Slyph looks uber bloated, but I dont know if that's because he's so small or because he is. So I'm staving off feeding till tomorrow around noon.

ANd yea...they both seem to already recognize me, so that's good I think. I just hpoe Slyph comes to the surface for his food tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

He does look bloated. And also... Skinny? I don't have a ton of experience with younger bettas. The female is adorable :) I just love females!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #9 
Syriiven

Gosh, all the poor things were half dead or too small =( Made me so mad...
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #10 
babystarz

Did you feed them when they got home? I'm thinking Slyph looks bloated because he was starving. Sometimes after that it takes a while for their digestive systems to function properly again. So feed him very small amounts of food for a couple of days until he's pooping regularly and work him up to larger portions. If he doesn't improve quickly you should get some epsom salt because he could be looking like that due to internal parasites too. Based on the condition you found the other fish in the store in, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. The good news is he's still well colored so he should bounce back from whatever it is.

Last edited by babystarz; 12-31-2012 at 12:40 AM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote