Betta Fish Forum banner

A few questions

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Elliriyanna 
#1 ·
I have a male betta in his own 5 gallon and am debating adding something in with him ... I am thinking 3 ghost shrimp or a mystery snail ... Any suggestions? ( so far he has only flared at my camera , Apparently he found the flash offensive)

PS I am running 10 gallons filtration in his tank so thats not an issue.

Also I am planning a 5 gallon ADF tank ... Would it be a possibility to add a small female or should I not even risk it? ( I LOVE ADF's )

#2 ·
When it's cycled, you could add in either 2-3 shrimp OR 1 nerite/tiger snail. A mystery snail grows too big and produces more ammonia than it cleans.. A 5G is pretty small so you don't want to overload it. I think you'll need a 10G to house a betta with an ADF. How many ADFs do you want? I'm pretty *sure* they produce a lot of ammonia. Remember they need to be QT'd at least 3 months before going in a tank.

#3 ·
actually ADF only need QT'd IF they are going in a tank with other reptiles ... the illness that affects them does not affect fish.

I was only planning two for my 5 gallon ... I am honestly leaning towards a species tank for the ADF anyway.

Oh I know not to overload it :) I just thought with double filtration a nice white mystery snail may be an option but I do like my ghost shrimp lol

sounds like a species ADF tank and 3 ghost shrimp in with my Finn ( Unless I can find cherry shrimp)

ADF actually have a very light Bioload :)

#4 ·
Oh, that's great news! I don't really like frogs, all slimy. @-@
If their bioload is pretty small, I guess 2 ADFs in a 5G is good. But I think adding a betta is pushing it. Ghost shrimp are great! I had 4, one was preggers. And as always, the babies died because they're apparently filter feeders from what I've read.

#5 ·
ADF's aren't like normal frogs I am really not a frog fan either. I will probably just go with a species tank maybe ONE mystery snail ... I will discuss it with aqadvisor :p

I love ghost shrimp but I have read Red cherries are a good option too plus I can feed some to my ADF as they breed ( I know I am cruel but animals have to eat)

I hope I don't sound like a know it all I have just been doing TONS of research on them lately since I want to set up a tank for them

#7 ·
Oh no I don't want to breed them just give them a good home :) I am kind of anti-breeding for any species ( I know its inevitable for RCS though)

I meant I can feed RCS to the frogs as the shrimp breed lol ... Sorry for the confusion.

Aqadvisor says ADF get too big for my tank at 1.5 inches o_O ....

#12 ·
It sounds like you have a good plan....1-5gal species only ADF and another 5gal with the Betta.

IMO/E-the Betta tank would be fine with a colony of shrimp-either ghost or RCS-especially since you plan adding live plants.
Some Betta will tolerate shrimp and leave them alone-while other don't and this can even change from day to day....lol....
If you add a nice clump of java moss or bushy plants and some floating plants will help give the shrimp a better chance. However, even with good cover-some of the shrimplets will end up as a healthy snack for the Betta. IMO/E-is a good thing....lol....

Look forward to seeing pic of your planted 5gal Betta tank with a colony of shrimp...

#13 ·
Just watch that your betta doesn't snack on the shrimp, some do.

Also, make sure you cover your filter intake with nylon stockings or something similar, males have a nasty tendency to get their fins sucked in, and then they drown.

Good luck with your shrimpies and Finn, he's gorgeous!

#14 ·
Thank you :) I love my boy :) I am going to buy some pantyhose and fit them over the filter ... He was laying up against the filter today with all of his fins looking like they were going to get sucked in and then he got all huffy with me when I freaked and tried to get him off and he just swam away o_O ... silly boy.

Where can I find cherry shrimp? Our LFS only carries ghost.

#17 ·
I have tried mystery snails w/ bettas with poor results. I "surrendered" 2 of mine to the local Petco when I discovered how much they poop!!! The 3rd smaller snail died (see my recent post on betta Care). Bettas love to provoke big snails. Bettas eat the tiny pond snails and any young snails small enough to fit in their mouths. I've made it a habit to go to the local Petco and ask if I can pick the baby pond snails out of the plant tanks- they're free, and the bettas eat them up. I'm hoping to have snails that will eventually colonize and provide food + tank cleaners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.