Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #11 
Elliriyanna

Its just a confusing system they use lol

Heck now I may just have to start an invert tank :P Since apparently it will overstock my tank to put a ghost shrimp Trio in with Finn
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like you have a good plan....1-5gal species only ADF and another 5gal with the Betta.

IMO/E-the Betta tank would be fine with a colony of shrimp-either ghost or RCS-especially since you plan adding live plants.
Some Betta will tolerate shrimp and leave them alone-while other don't and this can even change from day to day....lol....
If you add a nice clump of java moss or bushy plants and some floating plants will help give the shrimp a better chance. However, even with good cover-some of the shrimplets will end up as a healthy snack for the Betta. IMO/E-is a good thing....lol....

Look forward to seeing pic of your planted 5gal Betta tank with a colony of shrimp...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #13 
Skyewillow

Just watch that your betta doesn't snack on the shrimp, some do.

Also, make sure you cover your filter intake with nylon stockings or something similar, males have a nasty tendency to get their fins sucked in, and then they drown.

Good luck with your shrimpies and Finn, he's gorgeous!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #14 
Elliriyanna

Thank you :) I love my boy :) I am going to buy some pantyhose and fit them over the filter ... He was laying up against the filter today with all of his fins looking like they were going to get sucked in and then he got all huffy with me when I freaked and tried to get him off and he just swam away O.o ... silly boy.

Where can I find cherry shrimp? Our LFS only carries ghost.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #15 
Skyewillow

you may have to find a more specialized fish store. Otherwise, online
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #16 
Elliriyanna

Eh I like ghosts ... I will just get them ... After my tank is done cycling ...Its taking FOREVER ( not really I am just impatient lol)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #17 
Xaltd1

I have tried mystery snails w/ bettas with poor results. I "surrendered" 2 of mine to the local Petco when I discovered how much they poop!!! The 3rd smaller snail died (see my recent post on betta Care). Bettas love to provoke big snails. Bettas eat the tiny pond snails and any young snails small enough to fit in their mouths. I've made it a habit to go to the local Petco and ask if I can pick the baby pond snails out of the plant tanks- they're free, and the bettas eat them up. I'm hoping to have snails that will eventually colonize and provide food + tank cleaners.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #18 
Elliriyanna

Careful I had pond snails and trumpet snails take over my tank