Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #1 
MorganC2010

Question Switching Tanks?

Hello, I am currently running a thread in the emergency and care section of this form but while I wait for help another question came to mind.

I have 4 male bettas, 3 filtered and heated 5 gal tanks and one 3 gal bowl. The bowl is currently in the living room atop our entertainment center while my 3 tanks are located in our designated pet room (a spare bedroom of our house) where we have cat and dog supplies as well. I wanted to put them in my room but with my bedroom being in the basement it was too dark too much for them and I could tell they didn't like it.

OK! The question I have is I want to switch the betta (Vladimir) I have in the bowl in the living room for one of the bettas (probably Jasper) I have in a tank. Now I assume I should do a 100% water change and make sure all the decorations are cleaned, and I'll probably keep the decorations I have in the tanks with each fish, with each fish so they have something familiar
in the move. Is this a good idea? All of the bettas are over a year old and seem happy and healthy, I just want to switch up their view and mine.

I don't see any objections to this but I want some other opinions. If this is ok I hope to do it every 2 months or so if my boys take well to it. Please let me know your thoughts.
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #2 
shellieca

There's someone on here, I can't remember who, who says they switch their Bettas around frequently. Personally I would not do the 100% clean I would just switch them, acclimating them properly of course. I have 4 males in individual tanks that I'm thinking of doing the same thing with.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #3 
MorganC2010

Well I switched them! I went ahead and did a 50% change on the 5gal and 100% change on the 2.5 gal, it was time to do those changes anyway so in that process I just switched the fish as well!

Jasper (moved from 5gal to 2.5) is doing great and is just checking out his new home. Vladimir on the other fin, (hehe) i'm going to have to keep my eye on him. He went from the unfiltered 2.5gal to the filtered 5gal. He doesn't like the water movement and his hiding in his house (i moved his house and fav plant with him). Im hoping he is just not used to it and will settle down.

I wish you luck in switching your boys :) Also I still want to hear from others if they do this on a regular basis or not.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #4 
Laki

As long as both fish are healthy it's fine to move them. I like to keep my fish in a room with a lot of human traffic because it gives them something to watch. I only have 2 bettas in a divided 5g I switched them twice but they seem to prefer the sides they were initially put on so..
When I kept them in separate tanks I often switched them every few weeks because one was on my desk and one was in the kitchen :)

So, glad you made the switch! It makes a new environment for the heartier bettas (ones that don't mind change) and it makes something new for you to look at too!

ETA- for the water movement, stick a piece of new clean, rinsed sponge on the outtake of the filter. Attach it with an elastic band if you need to. I find it helps ALOT
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #5 
MorganC2010

I'm glad to hear from someone that does this regularly! I think I'll start doing it with 3 of 4 of my Bettas now. I don't Vladimir was too keen on the change but he has always taken longer to adjust to things than my others.

So what kind of sponge do you use? I've been using some think and porous sponge that my dad had. I thoroughly washed it of course. I used it and a hair tie but the sponge doesn't seem to be enough for him so I think it's too thin.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #6 
Laki

I use a cut up piece of those big thick sponges people clean dishes with. Not the ones with the green scrubby on one side but the big thick ones. I cut it in half. It's so thick that it dramatically reduces water current.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #7 
MorganC2010

Ok, thanks. I'll get one asap and try it. :) and since I switched tanks here is jasper in his 'new' home.

the pumpkin and pink plant are his favorite things from the 5 gal, I'm glad I moved them with him he is hanging out by them a lot.

Tags
moving