Question Multiple fish problems

This is for both Starburst and Bubs my bettas

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? ~80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? used to be, but temperture is stable
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? there is 3 bettas and 1 oto in the tank

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? A blend of Hikari, omega, Tetra pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? usuallly every other day but fish have been fasting for 4 days now

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner and any meds

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25 (normal for campus water)
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6 (normal for campus water)
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bub has become very VERY clamped.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Bubs has become semi lethargic in that he'll let his body drop and will stay down for extended periods of time. He also earlier was darting around. Starburst has been very lethargic. He has been laying at the bottom of the tank nearly 100% of the time. He has to struggle to go up and when he does he falls back down.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About two weeks or earlier
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? The tank is being treated for velvet as well, so there has been AQ salt and Maracyn. One water change (the first one) had some Epsom salt instead of AQ because of fear of possible internal parasites because Jingles had it.)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/a

Thing to know:

Jingles was in the 10 gallon and is now in a .5 gallon treated for internal parasites.

Bubs and Pudge had Velvet (there were golden flecks). The flecks are gone but Bubs is still looking very sickly with an extended gill and clamped body.

Starburst doesn't move unless you nudge him.

**Also: Lucky, my oto, has been swimming in circles rapidly at the front of the tank. Is that okay?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #2 
callistra

On my phone but I can tell you right now you didn't treat velvet properly and a fully cycled tank will have no ammonia.. You are also not doing frequent enough changes even if it was fully cycled. Also the meds have toasted your cycle and you need to start all over testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and doing 50% changes any time you see any of either plus a weekly 50% wc with vac

You can't use salt with Otos. It can kill then

You need to do 100% wc with same temp water and slow acclimation and get all those meds out.

What color is the poop of the fish you think have parasites?

They're all suffering from water quality issues for sure hard to say what else with all that's going on with meds and water changes

Last edited by callistra; 01-24-2013 at 11:00 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I agree that the .25ppm of ammonia is not helping the situation, and that if it is velvet it can take a long time to get rid of it even with aggressive treatment. Took me around a month to completely kick it out of my tanks and then another 1-2 weeks for my fish to recover from it fully.

Has your tank ever actually been properly cycled even before you started treatment? Doing a 75% water change once every two weeks is not enough if it isn't. If you have small amount of ammonia present in your tap water, a cycled tank should be able to process it no trouble. I am a bit concerned that you are getting a reading of .25ppm.

Velvet usually comes in because of poor water quality or a lack of proper quarantine procedures, so if you haven't introduced any new fish lately I would be looking at your maintenance.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

I want to start by saying that one of the fish has just passed.

Also, the whole tank was being cleaned because I did not have enough temp tanks. I already statd it on a group and it was deemed acceptable.

I just brought my fish back to school with me and the water has an automatic .25 ammonia level EVEN with the tank being cycled.

The velvet appeared while my fish were at home. The water was not the best, no, and unfortunately, I didn't have the time, supplies, or ability to compltely fix it. As of now, there is no sign of the velvet specks. Pudge is also back to his normal self, however Bubs hasn't.

The tank changes are going to be done as often as possible (especially now with the one fish gone, I might just downgrade to the 5 gallon), but I didn't have the time as mentioned earlier to do it so often when at home :/
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #5 
callistra

A fully cycled 10g needs a 25-50% water change with siphon weekly. But cycling will take up to 2 weeks to complete and during this time much more careful daily attention would be needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Even if your tap water has ammonia in it, it should be completely eaten by your biofilter in 12 hours or less - if your tank is fully cycled, and using Prime as a conditioner will detoxify it in the meantime.

So all the fish you have left are acting and looking okay but the one? Can you share photos of the one?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote