Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #1 
DoubleTail1

Betta started bubble nest, then I added tetra.

My betta made his first bubble nest. He started recently so it's not very big yet. I just added 4 neon tetra in with him today. Was that ok to do? The fish store guy said its fine, but I just want others' opinions.
Also, if anyone can tell me please! How do I feed the tetra?! I give my betta his pellets twice daily and he knows to come up to the surface to get them. One of the pellets fell to the bottom and the tetra darted over to get it, but then didn't want it. They stay at the very bottom, so I don't know how to feed them without my betta eating to much or the food falling in the rocks and going bad.
DoubleTail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #2 
Shadyr

How big is the tank? 4 Tetra *can* work with a betta, but tetras seem to be pretty delicate, so you need to make extra sure to have pristine water. Your betta will appreciate that too. A bigger tank should be fine, a smaller one...not so much.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #3 
Bluewind

Any tetra can become finnippers if in small groups. The larger the group, the less the chance for nipping. I believe 5 is the minimum size for a shoul. Someone correct me if my memory fails me.

There are also others who have told me that their Betta ate the Neons, but I guess that is more about the personality of the Betta.

What is your tank size? You will need a minimum of a 10 gallon. I'm sure you noticed how "zippy" they are and anything smaller just wont work. To keep them healthy, you will need a clean tank with a filter and good flakes. When 1st added, kind of over-do the pwc to keep the water extra clean. And none of those huge ones either! 30% at a time. Maybe a 50% if you REALLY need to, but no cupping! It stresses them out and makes them go pale.

Crumble flakes up into small pieces, pinch them between 2 fingers, and with the filter turned off, release the flakes into the water column. They will snatch the flakes as the float down. They don't need a lot of food, so don't go crazy

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #4 
DoubleTail1

I have a 10 gallon tank.

So you're saying the tetra might nip and my betta's fins? I definitely don't want that. How will I know if I need to take them out for the well being of my betta?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #5 
Bluewind

You need to add 1-3 more Neons (I'm guessing there is nothing else in the tank to overwhelm the bioload?), make sure you have plenty of decor (test it before adding as lots of "aqarium safe" products are anything but!) for everyone to hide in, and watch your betta's tail and fins for signs of shredding or just aggression between them.

btw, I edited my 1st post
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #6 
DoubleTail1

Just the betta and 4 tetra in the tank. I have 2 palm trees, 2 silk plants (my betta is nesting by the tall one. He liked it from the minute I put it in), and a stone arch. I feel dumb for asking... But what does pwc mean?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #7 
Bluewind

Don't be! It means partial water change. It's when you take out part of the water and replace it with fresh. Don't worry. I've been on for months and I still don't know all the shorthand

Awww, so cute! They always have their favorites don't they?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #8 
eemmais

Hi, I have pretty much the exact same tank set up except I have 6 glowlight tetras. I just feed them tropical fish flakes, frozen blood worms once a week, and sometimes they will steal one of my bettas pellets/flakes. The only time they have ever tried to nip my betta was during feeding time but that only happened a few times.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #9 
Phaydra

New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula.

You want to get a pinch then release it after you have it submerged. It will float down and your Neons with gobble it up. Bettas love it as well but they are super small pellets. Neons will not come to the surface to eat. You only want to feed them sinking pellets or crushed flakes. I alternate between flakes and pellets with a side if frozen shrimp every now and then. Neons will eat food off the bottom of a tank. I have seen it mentioned on several site that they won't but that is a myth. My Neons and Cardinals look like bottom feeders after they have caught everything floating down they could find. :P

Last edited by Phaydra; 01-26-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #10 
DoubleTail1

Great! Thanks all! :)

Tags
betta, feeding, neon tetra