Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #1 
maestromad

Advice on Growth

Hey guys new to this forum and thought I'd ask the experts for some advice.
I've had my betta mr grumpy for around 10 months now and for the last few weeks he's had a growth on his back.

His feeding and activity hasn't changed and heres a bit about his home;

20 gal (uk) with 12 Chilli rasboras and two assassin snails
Planted (with some algae issues)
Ammonia 0
NitrAtes 5 ppm
nitrites 0
pH 7.4

I've attached some pictures for you to see, any advice would be grateful he has recently had a treatment of maracyn plus
Attached Images

maestromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

It looks like Lymphocystis-since it is a virus it has to run its course-no treatment. It usually isn't fatal unless it impedes on daily living and the location of his....it shouldn't cause any problems. With that said, as it sheds spores the other fish can pick it up and so you might want to QT him.
Since it can take 10 weeks or longer to run its course-you might want to setup another tank for him-but even if the other fish did pick it up....as I said, it generally isn't fatal-just looks ugly...especially on such a lovely Betta...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #3 
maestromad

Thank you for the response, my other fish seem ok and I don't really have the room/funds for a QT tank.
I'll up the water changes to try and reduce the spores and hopefully it'll run its course soon.

And thank you for saying he's lovely, probably Mr Grumpy isn't the best name for him, but he was really moody when I first got him and its stuck!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #4 
callistra

How often and how much do you do water changes?

He also looks like he may be missing some scales along his back? Is there anything in the tank he may have rubbed against?

I agree with the diagnosis and the best way to treat it is by boosting his natural immune system. I do this by using Fresh Water vitachem - which is a fish multiviatmin. Safe for all fish and plants and can be added at 2 drops per gallon per week. You can also soak his pellets in it for up to 10 minutes before feeding.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 
maestromad

Thanks I normally WC once a week work allowing.
He doesn't have any scales missing I think it's the light on the photo. Other than the growth and some of his top fin being a bit melted (to be expected I suppose with that monster on the bottom of t!) he's in fine health and very interactive.
I looked at the vita chem wish I'd bought it now 😳
Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #6 
maestromad

Sorry I was looking at seachem vitality is this the same thing? I'm in the uk so can't always get the same things
Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #7 
callistra

I don't have any experience with seachem vitality, sorry. Seachem is also really bad about giving ingredients in things.. meaning they don't like to. So hard to know.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #8 
maestromad

Ok thanks ill keep trawling the web then! ��
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #9 
maestromad

Quick update, the growth has grown larger and his top fin had started to really suffer now.
I've kept up the clean water and fed NLS pellets he still seems himself but does hang out on his filter quite a bit but will swim out to see me.
I've done some reading and it's been suggested that quick cure may help does anyone have any experience or input??
Thanks guys hate seeing him disfigured like this

Just noticed that he has a small amount of what looks to be fungus on the tip of fin near to the growth I only have myaxzin and maracel two powder here is it worth trying?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do you have an updated photo that you can post?

I found a good article that you may want to take a look at: Lymphocystis Disease in Fish

The article says:
"Lymphocystis is usually a self-limiting disease, meaning that, in most cases, the lesions will clear up after a few weeks ....

Currently, there is no good treatment that will speed up recovery from this disease. Most often, the disease must run its course in an affected fish. Fortunately most cases of lymphocystis in warmwater fish will resolve on their own after a few weeks, as long as husbandry is good (good water quality/chemistry, good nutrition, correct population densities, optimal social groups) and as long as other stressors have been eliminated....."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also found info about the Seachem Vitality that you mentioned. The ingredients are:
Water, spirulina (Spirulina platensis), chlorella (Chlorella pyrenoidosa), phosphoric acid, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, ascorbic acid, ferrous sulfate heptahydrate, zinc sulfate heptahydrate, copper sulfate pentahydrate, manganese sulfate, potassium iodide.
Seachem Vitaliity

The Vitachem that Callistra mentioned also has amino acids, which I don't see listed in Vitality's ingredients. But the Vitality website also says, "Both spirulina and chlorella contain a rich assortment of amino acids and vitamins"

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 02-14-2013 at 04:03 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote