Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #1 
Flounder33

Can I use this in my tank?

Hello, I came across this cool clay pot at the dollar store and was wondering if I could use it in my tank.

http://www.dollartree.com/Spring-Fli...5981/index.pro
Flounder33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #2 
Vizja13

I'd be cautious of the paint and seal on the pots, that they might leach something undesirable into the water
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #3 
Flounder33

Ok, but the orange taraccota ones are ok right? Anything not glazed or painted? Also what is your opinion on heater placement? I have my 50w Aqueon vertically next to the filter. I also read people say to put it on a 45 degree angle.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #4 
Vizja13

I've used teracotta pots in my 5.5, they are great. ALgae will grow on them, but IMO it looks really cool, though that is a more natural tank (if you ignore the castle and Captain America...)

My filter placement depends on my hood and decor...some hoods have only specific places a filter CAN go. All mine are vertical, the thermometer across the tank to get the best reading n overall heat. Since yours is next to the filter, the warm water will be circulated more. I really think it's a matter of preference...I prefer my heaters vertical for looks, to be honest xP My bettas have never minded
Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #5 
callistra

the terra cotta pots tend to have holes in the bottom that need to be either sealed or knocked out bigger because bettas will try to force themselves through them and can die.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #6 
Vizja13

Forgot that bit, thanks Callistra ^^

I'll admit, I'm bad and haven't done that, I didn't know at the time I put the pots in (nearly a year ago now) and that betta isn't stupid enough to try. I have at least one that would though
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #7 
bamsuddenimpact

I just stuffed a rock in the bottom- I also used the 3/1$ terracottas from the dollar store w. no problem :)
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #8 
Flounder33

Just finished redecorating my tank. I didn't get the pots I just used my castle I already had.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #9 
Shadyr

That looks really nice! I like the castle...as a matter of fact, when I let the kids pick the centerpiece decoration for my big new tank...guess what they picked

Yeah, a castle.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #10 
Flounder33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
That looks really nice! I like the castle...as a matter of fact, when I let the kids pick the centerpiece decoration for my big new tank...guess what they picked

Yeah, a castle.
Thanks. Haha ha..My 4 year old named him flounder and my Budgie Scuttle she also wanted the Dora ornaments. Lol. I wanted a natural look but I think the castle stills goes.