Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #1 
rhonda r

Exclamation Emergency!

I have a beta emergency! he is a male beta I just noticed his eye is all all puffed out like one of those golfish. he is all lethargic and staying at the to of his tank. Im afraid he is suffering please help.
rhonda r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #2 
callistra

This is a gram positive bacterial infection.

More info is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #3 
rhonda r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonda r View Post
I have a beta emergency! he is a male beta I just noticed his eye is all all puffed out like one of those golfish. he is all lethargic and staying at the to of his tank. Im afraid he is suffering please help.
I have a beta emergency! he is a male beta I just noticed his eye is all all puffed out like one of those golfish. he is all lethargic and staying at the to of his tank. Im afraid he is suffering please help. sorry i rushed to post this here is more info...
1 gallon octagon tank
temp. 75 to 78
no filter
aeration yes
heater yes

food....
well i had been feeding him reglar betta pellets by aqua culture untill about a week ago he stopped eating i looked around and found out that they get bored with the same thing so i got baby sundried shrimp. he too 1 bite so i tried freezedried blood worms. he doesnt seem super thrilled with that either.

I change %50 of the water every 3 to 5 days using tap water that has been sitting out since the last change I add betta bowl plus water contitioner/dechlorinator by aqueon. as directed.
rhonda r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #4 
callistra

A bowl of this size needs two weekly water changes - one 50% and one 100%.. 2 gallons is really minimum to keep bettas healthy long term.

Why is your bowl swinging from 75-78 degrees? A good heater will not allow this and these swings will be hard on the betta, and weaken their immune system and cause stress.

The water used during a change must be the same temp as the tank (match using tank thermometer), so letting it come to room temp and then using it at this temp will cause shock and stress.

I suggest avoiding freeze dried foods but feeding anything freeze dried must be soaked for 10minutes in a cup with conditioned water. Blood worms are also like candy for bettas and should only be fed once a week as a treat. I suggest looking for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. How many to feed depends on the size and also your betta should get one fast day a week.

I would look for epsom salts - 100% pure magnesium sulfate with no dyes perfumes or other additives. Predissolve it at a rate of 1 tsp per gallon and pour slowly into his bowl over an hour to avoid shock. I would also look for an antibiotic like Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus or Furan 2. It will need to be diluted to 1g so when you find one let us know and we can help with this. I would do daily 100% changes in this bowl with the redosing of salts and meds for 2 weeks.

Photos would help..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote