Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon, currently in a 0.5-1gal hospital tank
What temperature is your tank? Steady 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Small Floating Pellets for tropical fish. Recently started rotating with tetra freeze dried blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Everyday with exception of 1 fasting day every week.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Monthly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquaSafe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, he has become bloated and I cant describe it but it doesn’t look like how he has been bloated in the past.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No – but he has always been a pretty inactive fish compared to my other 3.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, moved him to a hospital tank with small amount of aq salt, and with held food for 48hrs.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, all of my betas get bloat periodically. Usually 1 time every 2 months.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year 3 months

Ok, I have had Eugene for over a year now and like all of my other betas he has had bloat off and on the whole time Ive had him. This time has been different.

It seemed to have bloated up in a matter of hours and my usual treatment isnt working. I always put them in a smaller and clean bowl, add a small amount of aq salt and with hold food for 24-48 hours depending on how bad the bloat is.

This time I did all of that and his belly is still just as large as ever. And it doesn't look like how it normally does when he is bloated. it's the same area it just seems larger and usual this time. I'm sorry I cant be more descriptive I just cant put my finger on what's not right about it.

I did notice it seemed to have happened when I bought a new bottle of bloodworms. That is the only thing out of the ordinary for him, but I have fed them blood worms in the past with no problems and none of my other bettas are having problems.

I will post some pictures in my next post and hopefully someone can help me, it looks painful and my whole family is concerned about him. He was a rescue fish to begin with so it's always hard on us when there is something wrong with him.
MorganC2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 
MorganC2010

sorry this is so large, I'm working on editing the pictures as I post them, more to come, but this is a good clear one.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #3 
MorganC2010

Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #4 
MorganC2010

Ok, there are two of the best that I have, I only have a cell phone to take the pictures with right now so I apologize for the low quality. I also wanted to say that none of his scales look puffed out, I forget the name but I remember an illness that makes them bloat and scales stick out to resemble a pine cone. I dont think this is the case.

I hope someone can help me soon.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #5 
callistra

Your 5g should get 50% weekly with siphon. In this tank I would do a series of 50% changes over the next 3-4 days to get water quality under control.

In the QT you should be doing daily 100% changes with same temp water.

Anything freeze dried needs a thorough soaking for 10 minutes in a cup with conditioned water to avoid constipation issues. You also should only feed one worm a week as at treat in replace of pellet meal.

These Omega One Pellets are way larger than the betta pellets Omega One Makes and are not an appropriate betta staple. They are like 2-3mm in size and this could definitely be causing constipation issues in your betta. Look for Omega One Betta Buffet or maybe New Life Spectrum Betta instead.

What color is his poop? I expect it to be the size of a ball but if it's not brown (white, clear, muacsy, segmented) he also has an infection. Feeding live foods usually yields this. For now I would just treat with epsom salt - 100% pure magnesium sulfate with no dyes or perfumes of any kind - add at 1 tsp per gallon predissolved slowly over an hour to avoid shock. Leave him in the salts at least a week. You should start seeing a lot of poop I imagine.. fast another 2-3 days until you see his belly go down along with the poops.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #6 
MorganC2010

Ok, I will up the amount of water changes, although I do preform a weekly siphon of about 5-10% depending, I don't know why I didn't think to put that down.

As for the qt tank I am cleaning it daily but I only put in some aq salt every other day (I didnt want to overwhelm him).

I dont think the size of the pellets is an issue because when I switched to this brand about a year ago I noticed how much bigger it is so I cut every pellet with a clean butter knife right before feeding them.

As for the advice on the bloodworms, Ok! I hadn't heard to do that before and hadn't had issues with it in the past but I have never used this brand before. Could I scoop a small amount of his tank water (when he is back in a normal tank or with my healthy fish) and use it to soak the worms in? Or do I need to use fresh conditioned water?

Onto his poop, It has been a healthy brown and quite normal looking, the shape and similar size of freeze dried bloodworms if I had to compare it to something. So I'm glad to hear there is no infection so far.

So I will continue to fast and I have seen a lot of poop but his belly hadn't gone down yet like that amount of poop used to make it too when it was bloat, that's why I was freaking out lol.

Thank you so much for your help so far!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #7 
MorganC2010

Also, I heard exercising him with a mirror to promote flare will help his digestion and help the bloat. I do this with my betta Tiberius but he has always been way more active and territorial than Eugene (the one who I am treating currently). Should I try this with Eugene now? I used to exercise him in this manner in the past as I do with all of my bettas but he never seemed interested. I could see if that has changed if you think it would help.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #8 
callistra

You only redose salt along with water change, and then you redose as much as you change. I would not use aquarium salt at this time though. It will not help with this. You need epsom salts.

I highly suggest switching foods, especially since all your bettas have constipation issues.. this is not normal.. and his belly is larger than the average constipation issues I have seen.. but it's your call.

You can use a little tank water for soaking.

I would not use the mirror. It causes a panic attack type physiology in bettas and causes their adrenals to be flooded and it's not healthy.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #9 
MorganC2010

I hate to argue with someone who is trying to help but I really dont think it is the food. My others only got bloated when I had to go away during the weekend or something similar and I had to have someone feed them for me. Unfortunately who I had feed them for me always thought I didn't feed them enough and would feed them more behind my back which would cause them to be bloated when I returned. Times like that are the only times they would get bloated other than when I first got them, I don't think they hardly ever got fed where I got them from :/

But ok on the Epsom salts, Ill get some asap.

And wow, ok, I won't try the mirror. I have had other users in the past suggest it and I always thought that my betta Tiberius loved it. He would see me pull it out of the drawer and get excited, but that certainly explains why some 2 of my others never seemed to like it. So I never did it with them.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Tags
bloat, crowntail, male