Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Go ahead! He isn't feathering extremely, and a lot of pet owners actually like this event tho its a deformity. It may not even show if you get him the right girl.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #12 
eatmice2010

yay, thanks.. I would hug you if you we in front of me :D
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #13 
Myates

Yep - for show then no, for general pets, then go for it :) It's a unique look, regardless of how some view it.. unfortunately I would have to stay away from it, but if I was just wanting a pet to love, I would of grabbed him if I saw him in the store. :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #14 
eatmice2010

:D thank you Myates
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #15 
MrVampire181

He's pretty and has good spread but he would never be a candidate for breeding here. His rays are uneven and bent. His color is bad. Again nothing against him as I think he's a cool lookin fish just not something I'd breed for.

If you invest the time and money into breeding bettas it makes more sense to start off with a nice pair of at least somewhat show quality. The results will be better and easier to sell the offspring.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Feather and rose are side effects from breeding excessive rayed pairs. If you are worried, breed him to a 4 ray HM female. Keep in mind that if fry are deformed, you may want to cull every single one (even the healthy ones) . . . unless you're sure they will never be bred. Their bad genes will be carried for generations and will be hard to clean out. If none are deformed, you can breed fry to an unrelated betta.

I agree he has a unique form and doesn't have much of a "feather". Not show quality but definitely a gorgeous pet.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #17 
eatmice2010

Ok i did some research that i obviously needed because yall were scaring me thinking my fish is some kind of diabolical creature. Ok, so he is not a (ROSE TAIL). (ROSE TAIL) where the rays over lap making a flower look. He is not a ( X-FACTOR) either. (X-FACTOR) consist of the fish having poor scales, shorter ventrals, and collapsing fins. He also is not an (FEATHER). (FEATHERING) where the branching extends from the top and the bottom of the ray, making more than 8 rays, creating a feather-like look.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #18 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
Oh No someone on this thread (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=126965) said it was bad to bread them, Is what they are saying true?
you should NEVER bread a betta, they don't fry properly if they're breaded. and that just adds extra calories anyway.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #19 
eatmice2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
you should NEVER bread a betta, they don't fry properly if they're breaded. and that just adds extra calories anyway.
lol don't judge me lol I'm weak (laughing to hard)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #20 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
Ok i did some research that i obviously needed because yall were scaring me thinking my fish is some kind of diabolical creature. Ok, so he is not a (ROSE TAIL). (ROSE TAIL) where the rays over lap making a flower look. He is not a ( X-FACTOR) either. (X-FACTOR) consist of the fish having poor scales, shorter ventrals, and collapsing fins. He also is not an (FEATHER). (FEATHERING) where the branching extends from the top and the bottom of the ray, making more than 8 rays, creating a feather-like look.
This is true. But you also have to consider "was he from a feather/rose spawn". You see not all will become deformed but most, if not all, will be carriers. (in case you one day work with feather/rose). The bad genes will be passed on even by healthy looking ones - for generations. It's always a good idea to know their background when working with feather/rose.

Sorry to have worried/discouraged you, We only want you prepared . . . you wouldn't have read up on them. LOL IMO your guy isn't much of a feather, if at all. He has too few rays. What ever he is, "unique" is the best to describe him :)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote