Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #1 
xShainax

Rareness of feathertails and rosetails

How rare are feathertails and rosetails? My new betta is a rosetail and Sebastian is a feathertail. I had another one named Taz who died after chomping his tail down leading to a massive fin rot infection
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Rosetails and feathertails are deformities caused from halfmoons. It is highly recommended not to breed either "tail type" as there are more deformities and deaths in the spawns, compared to doubletail which is also a deformity - though can be controlled better than rosetail and feathertail.

Depending where you are, the rarity of these mutations vary.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #3 
Mo

The excessive finnage is bred into tons of show bettas today and isnt considered a rosetail. by some breeders the definition was altered. some breeders consider it excessive branching but others go in depth. saying that it must have a small caudal, etc. there is no official IBC definition. but there is an article on the IBC website/archives somewhere. I remember a breeder maybe it was Sherolyn craig saying that the IBC didnt support that definition though
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

It's too common for comfort. Breeders are breeding for bigger and bigger fins with more and more branching. That's why I'm sticking to PKs this round.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #5 
eatmice2010

Well my July is a feather tail:

I was hoping to breed him for his cute babies and keep them as pets, and probably give a couple to some of my friend(non betta addicts). Because of him having the feather, would he have been culled and is breeding him a bad idea. (i don't want to show him, so don't speak of it it lol)
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #6 
Mo

He isnt a feathertail. The rough edges isnt what defines a feathertail. Its the excessive branching and he doesnt seem to have too much branching
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

Not a rosetail just a badly bred betta. Though he is kind of cool looking from a non breeding standpoint lol.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #8 
eatmice2010

What do you mean badly bread betta? I've had some of the other older and more experienced members tell me he ok for breeding and is a nice fish, just that he wouldn't be show quality. Here's my thread please post on it: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=126957
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #9 
Myates

Meeko is actually one of the older members.. just restarted a new account :) He is the one who wrote all of those breeding tips under the name Mr.Vampire181. He is one of the top go-to for breeders here on the forums :)

What he means by badly bred was the parents of him weren't good for each other, fin wise - and caused the deformed feather look. He didn't say not to breed him, just know the risk involved in breeding him.

His look is something some people like when selecting pets - but breeders would stay away from him and his spawn due to the deformity.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote