Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #1 
jpottle

Sparkie has a cloudy eye! Please help. Pics.

Hi,

We have had Sparkie just over a month. He is acting totally normal, but I just noticed in the last day or so that one of his eyes seems cloudy. He has been in his new 6.6gallon tank for 6 days, today. Prior to that he was in a 2.5 gallon. The tank is not cycled, I would guess, even though I moved filter material from the old tank (that one was small so probably not fully cycled either). I have lots of plants and water quality has always been good. I have been careful about doing the recommended water changes and testing water quality so I'm pretty sure that is not the problem.

My guess is that he either injured his eye somehow (it was quite tricky trying to net him when I changed his tank last weekend), or, it is some type of illness.

I just did a water change and put in Epsom salts (3 tsp / gallon) to try to start treating this. I figure I will give it about a week, and if no improvement, move on to other meds - Kanaplex? Or... what? I'm looking for feedback on this treatment plan! I thought Epsom salts were a good place to start as I read a post from OFL saying they are safe for plants, and I have a lot of plants in the tank. If necessary I can move Sparkie back to his old 2.5gallon without plants for treatment, but it would be an inconvenience for sure, so if i can stick to plant-safe treatments in his usual tank I would prefer that.

Here's the questionnaire...

Housing
What size is your tank? 6.6 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One & Hikari pellets, occasional freeze-dried blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x/day, 5 pellets.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x/week 25%, 1x/week 50%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime, Excel for the plants

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Yes, I water test about every second day. I have API liquid Ammonia test but for nitrates and so on, I use strips. I know they're not as accurate, but it's what I have.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0? Strip looked slightly pink-ish so maybe some low number.
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 0-30
Alkalinity: (is this KH on my test strip? If so, it's about 40).

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? One eye looks cloudy. He also has irridescent "patches" on his cheeks, which I am not sure if they are changing or not. Pictures below.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It has not. He is very active and healthy. I even noticed he blew a bubble nest in his log last night.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1-2 days ago, but I wasn't sure.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Epsom salts, 3 tsp / gallon
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, not in the month we've had him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. We've had him a month. Probably came from Petsmart. (He was a gift).

Here are the pictures:

This is Sparkie when we first got him, for comparison. I think this picture was taken January 4.

Here he is from the same side, with the cloudy eye, today Jan 26. Wow, I just noticed he is looking a lot darker! What is that, just lighting, I wonder - or is his coloring changing? Hmmm.

Here he is from the front, so you can see the "milky" look on one side as compared to the other. I don't think the eye is swollen or popped out at all, it just kind of looks that way since the other is clear.

Thanks for any help or advice!
Janice

Last edited by jpottle; 01-26-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Had one pic duplicated.
jpottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #2 
rmarkham

I wish I could help, but I want to say that this looks a lot like what happened to my betta fish...

Since he's in a new tank, maybe high nitrites/nitrates could be the culprit?

With my guy I had him almost a year and out of the blue wham, his eye got all cloudy... I tried almost every decent antibiotic, water changes, salt treatments... NOTHING has worked....

Here's the link to my thread... maybe it could help?
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=121938

Since it's only 1 eye, it could be an injury?
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #3 
callistra

Strips are inaccurate testing. I suggest getting a reliable drops kit, but it's good you are testing and doing changes like this. Everything looks pretty good.. looks like your'e taking good care of him :) The live plants I see are also good. This is a popular kit: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater...aster+test+kit

Epsom salts are good and your plants will like it. I have never used such a high amount though.. so be careful.. It is suggested you add 1 tsp per gallon predissolved slowly over an hour, then wait another 12 hours before doing so again etc or else you could shock.

This is a gram positive bacterial infection. It may be from him going through the cycle process. I would QT and treat with antibiotic like Kanaplex as well but if you want to start with epsoms you can try. I would not treat with Kanaplex in the tank as I'm not sure how your plants will respond and it will kill your cycle which looks like it may possibly about be complete since it's now 3 weeks later.

As a side note, personally, I would discontinue the Hikari pellets as they are filled with wheat and other fillers. If you wanted to alternate pellets I would add in NLS Betta pellets or Atison's Pro as they are also higher quality like the Omega.

Last edited by callistra; 01-26-2013 at 08:09 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #4 
jpottle

rmarkham, I read your thread. From your pics, your boy's eye looks exactly like mine! So it is disheartening to hear that none of your treatments have worked. Good luck and please let me know if anything happens with him.

Thanks for all your great advice, Callistra. I had epsom salts on hand and knew they were plant safe, that's why I started there. Here is the thread where I found the dosage http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....e=0#post357007 ... so I hope 3 tsp/gallon will be okay... and I did premix and add it slowly (over a few hours) but certainly not over 12 hours! I hope I didn't shock him! He has been acting normally since... what are signs of shock? Oh dear...

So my plan is to check the LFS and Petsmart tomorrow for Kanaplex. Otherwise I will have to order online. So, it may take a while until I can get that treatment started, which is okay because it will give me some time to try to figure out if the epsom salts are helping at all. I will set up my 2.5g as a hospital tank if I end up having to use the Kanaplex.

I do plan to buy that liquid test soon, and the NLS pellets too... I am just staggering my fishy purchases!! My Ammonia test is the API liquid drops. I wonder, is the "master kit" any easier to read for ammonia? With my test I have a hard time distinguishing exactly which color it matches sometimes... and 0 to 0.25 seems a big range... wish they had some colors in between!

Thanks everyone so far. Crossing my fingers this resolves soon.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #5 
callistra

If he's acting normal it's fine. It's just that epsom salts will reduce ph. If your water is very hard it's no big deal but if it's very soft it could create big swings and that's why it's important to add slowly.

You can also try using Furan 2 or Triple Sulfa, which are API meds and should be easy to find.

API liquid drops is good. That is the ammonia test inside the master test kit. It's just this test kit also includes test for nitrite, nitrate, ph and high ph and costs less than the price of purchasing just ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests which are needed. They make test kits which show lower ammonia but they get pretty expensive quickly. I use the API test kit myself and I just consider any green bad news.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #6 
jpottle

I just wanted to report that after ~40 hours in the epsom salts, I am pretty sure Sparkie's eye is improving, slowly. I tried to get a picture for comparison last night but he wouldn't cooperate. But, I can see the iris again, see the eye moving around and stuff. It is still a little cloudy compared to the other one, however.

I did order Kanaplex online (could not find it locally). It will take a couple days to arrive, so I'll see how the eye is doing by then. Even if I don't need Kanaplex this time around, it sounds like it could be a useful thing to have on hand.

I will be very pleased if this resolves with just epsom salts! Crossing my fingers!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #7 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpottle View Post
rmarkham, I read your thread. From your pics, your boy's eye looks exactly like mine! So it is disheartening to hear that none of your treatments have worked. Good luck and please let me know if anything happens with him.

Thanks for all your great advice, Callistra. I had epsom salts on hand and knew they were plant safe, that's why I started there. Here is the thread where I found the dosage http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....e=0#post357007 ... so I hope 3 tsp/gallon will be okay... and I did premix and add it slowly (over a few hours) but certainly not over 12 hours! I hope I didn't shock him! He has been acting normally since... what are signs of shock? Oh dear...

So my plan is to check the LFS and Petsmart tomorrow for Kanaplex. Otherwise I will have to order online. So, it may take a while until I can get that treatment started, which is okay because it will give me some time to try to figure out if the epsom salts are helping at all. I will set up my 2.5g as a hospital tank if I end up having to use the Kanaplex.

I do plan to buy that liquid test soon, and the NLS pellets too... I am just staggering my fishy purchases!! My Ammonia test is the API liquid drops. I wonder, is the "master kit" any easier to read for ammonia? With my test I have a hard time distinguishing exactly which color it matches sometimes... and 0 to 0.25 seems a big range... wish they had some colors in between!

Thanks everyone so far. Crossing my fingers this resolves soon.
Glad to read that the epsom salts are working for you!!! I hope your guy doesn't have what poor Magikarp has, because he looks worse by the day...It looks like his eye might fall off... But he still has an appetite!

Sending good thoughts your way!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #8 
jpottle

Just thought I'd post a picture I took last night. I think Sparkie's eye is improving. It's a little hard to say. Hopefully it's not just wishful thinking.

This is after 2 days in the epsom salt water:

And for comparison, my picture from Saturday:

Does it look like his eye is improving?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #9 
jpottle

Yes, looking at those two pictures side by side helps, I definitely think there's an improvement. Although, the lighting is different, so it's hard to be sure.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #10 
rmarkham

I see the difference! I hope it continues to improve for you :)