Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #11 
callistra

How are you acclimating him after the change? Are you matching the new water's temp with the old water using thermometer under the running tap?

Do the ingredients in the epsom salt say 100% magnesium sulfate on the ingredients label and nothing else? How much are you using? Did you acclimate to this or just dump it in?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #12 
LPGI

I'm still waiting on my thermometer to arrive so right now his water is room temp (around 75 degrees, warmest I can get until the heater arrives). When I fill up his tank (he is in a small seperate point at this point) I add the conditioner and add the Epsom Salt (100% Magnesium Sulfate, 1 teaspoon) and stir it into the water until it dissolves. I then let the water sit until it gets to room temp and transfer him back into his tank.
LPGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #13 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPGI View Post
I'm still waiting on my thermometer to arrive so right now his water is room temp (around 75 degrees, warmest I can get until the heater arrives). When I fill up his tank (he is in a small seperate point at this point) I add the conditioner and add the Epsom Salt (100% Magnesium Sulfate, 1 teaspoon) and stir it into the water until it dissolves. I then let the water sit until it gets to room temp and transfer him back into his tank.
The water chemistry between the old and new water can be different. Putting him directly into the new water without acclimating him can cause a shock to his system.

To acclimate:

Make sure the new water really is the same temp as his old water. (You didn't say how long you let it sit.) Then....

Float his cup in the new water for about 15 minutes, so that you know the temp inside matches the temp in the bowl.

Add a SMALL amount of water from bowl into his cup. (Several tablespoons, or about an ounce.) Let him sit for 10-15 min.

Remove a small amount of water from his cup and discard it. Add another SMALL amount of water from the bowl. Let him sit for 10-15 min....

Repeat these steps for an hour or so.

Then gently release him into the new tank.

Do not rush this process!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #14 
FishFriend9292

Your betta sounds a little chilly! I suggest a heater to keep it around 76-80 degrees. For a 1 gallon, I would chance the water twice a week instead of once every two weeks. 10 pellets a day is way to much, so it's good you dropped down to 4. When a betta is cold it will become lethargic and potentially stressed, causing it to lose color.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #15 
LPGI

My heater and thermometer have arrived and his water is now at 78 degrees. He seemed to be getting better and after three days of fasting i started feeding him one pellet in the morning and one at night. He was acting normal again and was actually quite active. However this morning I found him lying on his side at the bottom of his tank breathing fast and heavily. I've done everything that has been suggested so I don't know what else I can do =( I'm going to go to the pet store to pick up a water testing kit and ill see what they suggest. Ill update this when I get that info. Thanks again for the help everyone.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #16 
LPGI

Unfortunately, I came home tonight and Zeus had passed on =( thank you all for the advice, I think it helped him live in less pain during his last few days.