Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #31 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
A cooler water change can induce breeding behavior (it mimics the beginning of the monsoon season), so start off with cool water and then slowly (over the course of a few days) bring the temp up to the desired degree before you release the female to spawn. Then keep the temp high throughout spawning and afterward. This works well for me anyway

I always use conditioner, and here the tap water from the sink is very good so I use that, but many people also use well water and that is fine too in most cases.
Oh, I got it ! I'll do that before breeding.
Thank you so much for informaition !

I see many people use well water. I just relief.

Thank you very much !
norico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #32 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by norico View Post
I just surprised I never heard PH 8. My water is PH7 and I use IAL.

I see size is important for them. My older female is not breeding with younger male. I did siblings once.

So, are you use well water ? Do you use conditioner ?

Thank you,
Your water is ideal.

I use tap or rain water, both range around 8. My well water contains too much metals (deadly). I don't use any conditioner nor testers other than pH tester (None seems to work). I used to filter what ever water I used for at least 24 hours. But now I only age it. For breeding, I age the water for about 4 weeks.

I agree with babystar - keep water warm during breeding and fry raising. After 2-3 weeks you could lower temp (if you want). Ideal is about 28C or 82F
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 AM   #33 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Your water is ideal.

I use tap or rain water, both range around 8. My well water contains too much metals (deadly). I don't use any conditioner nor testers other than pH tester (None seems to work). I used to filter what ever water I used for at least 24 hours. But now I only age it. For breeding, I age the water for about 4 weeks.

I agree with babystar - keep water warm during breeding and fry raising. After 2-3 weeks you could lower temp (if you want). Ideal is about 28C or 82F
Oh, thank you very much !
I just relief what you said.

And I have to keep water warm now and then.
Right now, here is so cold, and my tank is about
26C. I guess I will breeding Spring or early Summer.

Thank you !
Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #34 
norico

I told my friend I learned this thread.
My friend worried about that. Because she breeding last year, and she was looking forward to have male. But she didn't find. She has all female. Her tank was around 30C. What do you think ?

Thanks,
Old 02-01-2013, 04:47 AM   #35 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The problem with breeding bettas is that most fry won't make it. A fully grown female could lay up to 1300 eggs (maybe more) but an average of only 300 will survive to adult. So, which sex/gene survived? This is also a problem when determining color/form out come.

How old was the male/female? what was the temp when they hatched to the first week. How many times had the female been spawned.

I don't know any other reason why she had all females at high temp.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #36 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
The problem with breeding bettas is that most fry won't make it. A fully grown female could lay up to 1300 eggs (maybe more) but an average of only 300 will survive to adult. So, which sex/gene survived? This is also a problem when determining color/form out come.

How old was the male/female? what was the temp when they hatched to the first week. How many times had the female been spawned.

I don't know any other reason why she had all females at high temp.

Yeah, I heard about that. I guess female is strong than male. That's why female survived, right ?

I am not sure exactly. The male is one year oldl, and female is 4 or 5 month. She always keep 30C. The female is first time.

Thank you,
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #37 
chardzard

wow a first time female at 30c ?? i have never seen that happen before after 5-6 spawns maybe but not on first unless the water is too warm witch is close to hot , i1 thing i forgot to add was i have trees in my back yard that add good shade for hot very hot days but do the revirse on not so hot days i'll keep full notes from here on , right now i'm trying to get all the females nice n fat with out makeing them sick i can grow males in no time but geting the girls plump i'm a bit slow with some of them
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #38 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardzard View Post
wow a first time female at 30c ?? i have never seen that happen before after 5-6 spawns maybe but not on first unless the water is too warm witch is close to hot , i1 thing i forgot to add was i have trees in my back yard that add good shade for hot very hot days but do the revirse on not so hot days i'll keep full notes from here on , right now i'm trying to get all the females nice n fat with out makeing them sick i can grow males in no time but geting the girls plump i'm a bit slow with some of them
Let's see, we are so cold in Japan. That's why she have 30C temp. Outside is cold, average 10C now.
I asked my friend, she heard around 30C temp. is good for breeding and high persentege of male. I warn her later.
How's fry ? I hope they're good !

Thanks a lot !
Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #39 
chardzard

ok wow i think the lowest we ever got was 14c a few years a go or was it 20 not sure right now but it was great for night fishing on the beach :) but was cold is hell any ways i have set up 14 pairs of bettas to breed all of them r first timers sorry i did not take any pic's before i set up so if all the girls r ok in a few hours n have spawn i'll make some notes from there wish me some luck guys
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #40 
Myates

I have my tank set at 84-86.. so will see how many males I get from the eggs that are in there now.

Personally, the warmer the better for me.. set up a breeding tank last night, let them together at 11 this morning, by 6pm they were done breeding (male was a virgin). Supposed to storm tomorrow.. and I have a ton of humidity in the tank and lots of water droplets falling into the tupperware container I had them breeding in. So lots of heat in the tank - hope it fools them and I get lots of male fry :)

Next time I may consider raising the temp to 88 and see how they do.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote