Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #1 
ilikefishyys

911 emergency ! Whats wrong with his fins help please

I don;'t know what is wrong with my poor fish. He has swim bladder disease right now and I'm not really sure how to treat him. Right now he is laying on the gravel and still breathing but I think he's going to die soon please help! His bottom fin looks like there's some clear blurry stuff surrounding it and there are holes developing in his fins. Also, he hasn't eaten in a week and I don't know what to do someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP! He's on the verge of death.
ilikefishyys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #2 
lillyandquigly

Ok, first of all, how high is your water? How hot is his tank? Soak his food in garlic juice, it can trigger his appetite. What do you feed him? When did this all start? Lower his water level so he can get to the top better, some pictures would be nice. Can you tell us anymore? What are all of his symtoms. How fast are the holes appearing? What color is your betta (this could have to do with a very very bad mystery disease)? And what tail type is he?
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #3 
sainthogan

Please fill out this form to help so we can help you better.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #4 
Xaltd1

I would RUN, not walk, to the closest LPS/Petco first thing this AM. There are some great remedies out there. I've used Mardel Maracyn-Oxy with success; there are other medications, too- "Bettafix" by AQI saved a fish of mine. Act quickly... saving a fish is quite possible with a little dedication on your part! They are tough little fish!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #5 
Maddybelle

Don't use Bettafix, Melafix, etc! They contain a substance (tee tree oil, I think) that will damage your fish's labyrinth organ. Filling out the form sainthogan posted will help us help you. I wouldn't try to medicate until you have a concrete diagnosis. Otherwise, you could end up doing more harm than good.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #6 
ilikefishyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyandquigly View Post
Ok, first of all, how high is your water? How hot is his tank? Soak his food in garlic juice, it can trigger his appetite. What do you feed him? When did this all start? Lower his water level so he can get to the top better, some pictures would be nice. Can you tell us anymore? What are all of his symtoms. How fast are the holes appearing? What color is your betta (this could have to do with a very very bad mystery disease)? And what tail type is he?
His water is pretty high, he has a 5 gallon tank and it's up to the top. His tank has a heater and is about 75 degrees. His holes, well there was one yesterday and i think 2 today. Also, he recently has just been floating around everywhere not really being able to swim, his back is arched and stomach kind of bloated. He used to be blue and red, the blue has gone away and his body went from colored to white. I'm so scared. he's a half moon betta if that's what you mean by what type?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #7 
Xaltd1

I put the Bettafix in a cup of treated water then poured it into the filter rather than just dumping it into the tank; I think this makes a difference. I do this with all meds/conditioners.
I do think doing something ASAP is better than doing nothing until someone responds, IMHO. It's your decision.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #8 
ilikefishyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Please fill out this form to help so we can help you better.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
OKay:

no parameters/ I have never tested the water.
I have a filter, heater, around 75 degrees, no air stone-he didn't like the bubbles, and it's 5 gallons. no mates

used o feed him twice a day but he stopped eating, i fed him Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets...it's the only thing he'd eat-he's very picky.
used to do a 100% every 3 weeks, i just found out that was wrong and now I was going to start doing the right amount/types of cleans. I just recently cleaned his tank last sunday and it was a 100% one. Additives i put in conditioner.

appearance change- yes color loss and now his fins are starting to get holes, his back arched, his stomach puffed, he can't really swim and floats around everywhere. I read up on it thinking it was swim bladder disease and that it would go away and I was going to get some epsom salt but I'm only 16 and just had midterms and both my parents work and I was never able to go out this week and I'm freaking out I think he's going to die any second. It started last week/weekend I didn't know what was wrong so I just cleaned his tank thinking it was the water, and this week all these symptoms started happening except the color loss happened before the clean and i though it was just from stress. All these symptoms just started this week and have gotten worse and I thought, from what i read that it was constipation and that not feeding him for 3 days and then giving him part of frozen pea would help but then he wasn't eating and I never got the epsom salt (mentioned before). So i really have no clue what to do...

he's never been ill and I don't even think he's one year old yet...

Last edited by ilikefishyys; 01-27-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #9 
ilikefishyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
I would RUN, not walk, to the closest LPS/Petco first thing this AM. There are some great remedies out there. I've used Mardel Maracyn-Oxy with success; there are other medications, too- "Bettafix" by AQI saved a fish of mine. Act quickly... saving a fish is quite possible with a little dedication on your part! They are tough little fish!
I can't go anywhere because my parents are sleeping, I don't have my license, and it's currently almost 2 AM...i literally just feel so helpless and useless to my fish... do you think if i posted a picture it would help diagnose him?

Last edited by ilikefishyys; 01-27-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #10 
ilikefishyys

my poor fish is dying right in front of me and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it right now.

Last edited by ilikefishyys; 01-27-2013 at 02:14 AM.