Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #1 
Maddybelle

Planning my next spawn - thoughts?

Now that just about all of my orange x cello babies are jarred, I have space for another spawn! I'm planning on a blue based spawn using my cellophane SD girl, Solstice, and either my black/turquoise orchid DT boy Gallifrey, or my turquoise HM boy Rory.

Solstice

She's filled out some since this was taken. She has a lovely thick body, a perfect topline, and is experienced. She came from an orange x white dragon spawn, and may carry DT. She passes on her thick body and really great dorsals in her fry. I'd get a more recent picture, but she's currently hanging out with the last few of her 14 week old fry in the growout. I couldn't ask for a better momma!

Rory

As you can see, he isn't as finny as Quasar, having only 4 rays, but his color is amazing, with no red wash. My concern about using him with Solstice is that I'd end up with more deltas than anything, seeing as they are both 4 ray fish.

Gallifrey

This is my best picture of Gallifrey - he's really a lot nicer IRL, he just hates the camera. He's a DT with nice even lobes, at least 8 rays (hard to count because the black is so dark), and a very nice topline. He is a bit short bodied, but that wouldn't be a problem if I bred him to Solstice. He does have a few faint red spots in his anal and caudal, but they're only visible when back lit. He has curled ventrals, I'm not sure if that was caused by environmental factors or genetics. He has very nice deportment. Breeding with him would also test weather Solstice carries DT.

Honestly, I'm leaning heavily toward Gallifrey, and waiting until Liz Kauai is ready to ship her youngsters so I can "import" a more finny girl for Rory.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Could you possibly spawn them both to her? She has excellent form but I'd like to see a nicer dorsal. The HM boy is nice and would pass on good spread. Then you'd have half siblings that would carry the traits from all three. Then breed Rory to a Liz female and have another batch of related fish (from Rory of course). Then bam three spawns, probably with nice selections and would provide a good base for a line.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I prefer the second male (DT), hoping that they will produce HM
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #4 
Maddybelle

LOL, I an probably going to wait for one of Liz's girls anyway. Took Solstice out of the fry growout to start getting her back into the breeding mood (physically, she's ready to go, but she's gotten quite lazy!) And noticed that she has gotten HUGE! I think the only one of my males large enough to wrap her is my red copper delta, and he's too old to breed even if I wanted to! So, I've got the DT boy sitting in his container in the 83* growout, feeding him throughout the day, hoping to get a bit more size on him.

In order to breed them both, I'd have to get another fry tub set up, which I just don't have the money for ATM. =(
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Both males are gorgeous.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote