Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #11 
inareverie85

16 oz is too small. And many breeders use 32 oz, but I prefer bigger. At least a half gallon.

The containers I use are 95 oz.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #12 
MSG

So the jars that the OP is recommending are 8oz?

That's about the size most fruit perserves/jellies are sold in.

Most people who buy that from the craft store ultimately use them to store their beads & make candles and stuff in there.

I guess 8oz is basically the glass version of a store betta cup with a screw on lid.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #13 
Myates

lol!

I think they are 16oz - 1/4g, which is still very tiny.. smallest I go for is 32oz and even then will be moved to larger.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #14 
aemaki09

I personally wouldn't go for anything under 32, 64 would be preferred for me though, unless I can find something bigger easily
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #15 
shawnee

welll what do u guys use for grow out contaiers and leme gues all of you guys prob give each fry a 1 gallon tank...... look again its my bedroom till i can make a breeding rioom
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #16 
Myates

It's difficult on what to tell you.. you say you want to breed "king" bettas, you also got a pair of deltas.. so we can't say to get one thing if you are going to breed __, because if you do breed kings then we will recommend _x_ size.

For your "king bettas" you are going to want more than a gallon for each fish. For your average betta you will want minimal of 32oz, but upwards of .66 - .75 gallons to give them the proper room to grow enough to sell/ship.

You also plan to have 20-30 breeding pairs that you will need to house individually and keep them heated.. so those will need a different size to house.

It costs hundreds to set up a proper breeding set up, for 1-2 spawns.. I spent well over a thousand for a 2 spawn set up personally (there are cheaper ways, but money not an issue so got actual tanks, etc). Have to do it properly to be successful and worth the money and hours spent on a breeding program. If you lack space, now may not be a time to do it.. or may have to breed on a small scale, that way you can have a bit larger containers to properly grow the juveniles in. For your white deltas you have, 32oz would be the smallest, but after a bit would move them into double that size as to not stunt them any.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #17 
babystarz

I use these: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...z-Canning-Jars

I live close enough to one of their warehouses that I did not have to pay shipping when I picked up my cases. They even loaded the jars into my car for me. Generally speaking wholesale prices are better than retail.

Last edited by babystarz; 01-31-2013 at 10:54 AM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #18 
shawnee

kings are coming later and i am in the mits of building some barrakcs now
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #19 
flyingpony22

I used to work at acm. It's a store that's only located on the east coat. They do sell 16 and 32oz mason jars for around $1 and change. There's always coupons so you could easily get them for $.50 each if you purchased them one at a time, or if you bought in bulk they often have 20-25% off sales so you could also get them for pretty cheap that way. They generally aren't in high demand (at least at the store I worked at) so they great thing about that meant they were always in stock even during sales.
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Why barracks? They are hard to build properly, hard to keep, and are very dangerous as if one fish gets something, they all do.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote