Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #1 
bettaisbetter

Culling Options

What are some of the ways you guys cull? Once I start breeding, (I know the money & time consuming responsibility) I need to know how to cull. I heard of using clove oil, freezing, (humane?) feeding to big fish, and hitting them on a head with a hammer. Are these the only options I can do? Thank you, everyone. (I wonder what happened to the stickies Mr. V posted, those were really informational and me and others didn't get to bookmark)

I would like the culling options to be quick, humane, and easy to do.
Can you also right down the steps needed to do for the specific option?
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

When my fry are still small enough, deformities become apparent. At this point (usually 1-3 weeks, depending on growth rate of your fry) deformities can be easily seen. AT this point, I feed them to larger fish... It's the natural way of order. People see it as cruel, I see it as recycling. Why toss out what something else can benefit from?

When they become bigger, you may need to cull finnage, color, runts, or to lower the numbers. Once they are too big to feed to other fish, I use clove oil. A couple drops, they drift off to sleep. A few more drops, they pass away. (some bettas take a larger dose than others). I do not use alcohol, in this method. It's a waste of time. Don't need it.

Insta-freezing, is what I have heard is a lot better than shoving them in your freezer. The shock basically kills them. I wouldn't know if they feel it, I don't use this method, but I know people who do.

I will tell you be READY to cull. It is not something to take lightly, as is breeding. If you feel you want to keep a spawn of 300, good luck. It would be hard work. I had 239, and still culled a good number of them afterwards - makes it easier on me, and allows the other fish more room, food, and care.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #3 
bettaisbetter

Alright, thank you for the when and hows. It seems that clove oil is the most humane, I also heard it's stinky. But it's for the fish. I would feel guilty to end their life just because of their undesired color pattern, but again it's for the fish.

Don't worry, I'll be ready. I know how much work it is, that's why I'm planning it right now since I will be breeding in a few years or so.

How do you insta-freeze? Is it pouring the fish into ice cold water?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

It is very strong smelling! It is pure clove oil, not diluted. I am allergic to it, and I still use it. Use a container you will never ever use again, and throw it out afterwards.

The water should literally be ice and water... Let to sit a few minutes to become frigid cold. Then the fish is poured in, and dies from shock.

One thing I will mention, before anyone decides it is okay... Releasing into the wild is not a form of culling. It is a form of an illegal act, destroying the environment and the ecosystem as it is.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #5 
bettaisbetter

Okay, so clove oil, feeding to fish, and insta-freeze are the best humane options.
And I would never do that, especially with all the freshwater ecosystems here. There's a risk of cross contamination, and these fish are domesticated animals. Their wild counter parts live in rice paddies, and I live in a 4 season climate. It's so different for them.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

That's right :) Seems like you've got it down.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #7 
bettaisbetter

Yes, I've been researching about breeding whenever I have time. I still have school and chores to get done. ^^; Thank you so much for everything!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #8 
shawnee

just asking because i dont really have some really large fish toilet?
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Never EVER flush. Ever. You not only pollute our lands, but it is very painful to the fish.

It would be like tossing you in a solution of water and straight ammonia (aka bleach). You would burn; your skin, your eyes, your mouth, your nose, your lungs... Everything would be an agonizing pain. It would corrode your insides, make you blind, close your air way, and in a matter of minutes, or maybe hours if you are unlucky, you would die after getting third degree chemical burns from prolonged exposure.

There's a visual for you ;)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #10 
eemmais

I once had to euthanize a fish and I used the ice water method. The fish went fast and he only struggle for a second or two. If you do it just make sure their is no hard ice in the water.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote