Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #1 
talialove

Curved spine/tail?

Hello everyone :]

I've had my new betta for about a week now, and I already love him to pieces <3 One thing I noticed about him is around 2/3rds down his body he seems to have a little bump, or kind of a curve going on. When he turns or spins around he has to wiggle in an odd way to get there, but besides that he swims fine. He's super active, loves feeding time, and is always coming up to say hi when he sees me come in the room or notices me looking at him. I'm assuming it's an old injury that healed, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about?
talialove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #2 
eatmice2010

Are you able to post a pic?
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #3 
Myates

This bump/curve? That is normal.. as for turning, some males with really long fins who have been in small containers for a while tend to have a little more difficulty turning/swimming due to their muscles need a bit of a work up to carry their fins in the larger water. Hold a mirror up to him once or twice a day for about 5 minutes to give him some exercise from flaring and it should help him become a bit stronger with swimming.
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I have a few males who "wiggle" to turn, which has been seen in my males who are trying to turn to get their food, or flaring at something. It can be pretty normal, however a picture would be appreciated for us to make sure :)

Most actual bent spine problems are deformities from birth... Making sure the fish can reach the surface, and that he does not have a ton of current to fight against.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #5 
talialove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
This bump/curve? That is normal.. as for turning, some males with really long fins who have been in small containers for a while tend to have a little more difficulty turning/swimming due to their muscles need a bit of a work up to carry their fins in the larger water. Hold a mirror up to him once or twice a day for about 5 minutes to give him some exercise from flaring and it should help him become a bit stronger with swimming.
I got Shiloh at petco and he was in one of those circular cups, so that would make sense. I guess sometimes the way he poses accentuates the curve and makes me worried until he starts swimming straight again. Thanks all for replying! If I did the mirror thing do you think he would associate me at all with the aggressive/defensive feeling? He hasn't really flared at all since I got him; he usually just swims away from stuff he doesn't like. Also another quick question... he seems to miss a lot when he goes after his food, though he does so enthusiastically. I feed him one pellet at a time, and I watch him to make sure he eats at least 2-3 a day. Do you think he just needs practice? Here are some pictures...

The curvies:

Posing:

Last edited by talialove; 01-23-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #6 
callistra

What color is his poop?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #7 
talialove

Its kind of the same color as his food, but a bit lighter. I've been feeding him this by recommendation of the pet store manager --> https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CHgQ8wIwAA
Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #8 
irishcreep

My girl's been like that since she was a wee little thing. She's fine though, no problems with it.
irishcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #9 
MollyJean

In my opinion it's not something you should worry about. His swim bladder is located in that general area, and he's a double tail. Double-tail bettas can have swim bladder deformities, so it's probably just that. the double-tail trait is a deformity in it'self that has been bred in controlled (and some less then controlled) instances but it causes a lot of shortening of the body and compression and/or bending of the swim bladder. If he's swimming normal then it's not a serious problem.

Your boy has some nice, long fins and a short body, turning might be a little harder for him, even more if he's been cramped in a little cup for a long time, but again, this isn't really a problem. Some of my boys have problems turning and have learned to swim backwards instead.

As for the S shaped curve to his body I see in one of your picture, this can happen if the temperature is too cold or if the water quality has been poor for a while. What temp do you keep his tank, if you don't mind me asking?

Or, it could just be his natural method of swimming, seeing as his body is so short. Unless he's having serious problems moving or eating that you haven't told us about, he looks like a very healthy, happy boy.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #10 
Blue Fish

I've got a boy very similiar to this, double tail and short body, and he scared me in the beginning with the same bending. I actually worried at first that he might have fish TB, and he spent quite some time in quarantine while I got more information. :)
My guy swims, and swims, and swims, and swims...he dances for food, moves all around, and he never gets fat like the others...because he's always on the move. :) But, like you noticed, he does tend to swim in a more "jerky" fashion, in that he wiggles his body more than the others, and he swims up and down more than side to side.
It did take my guy some time to learn how to be in the larger tank, mostly how to handle his big, heavy fins. But, once he built up his muscles, he's a happy little guy, never had any problems with him, and he seems to do just fine with his "modified" swimming. :)
As for the food, all of mine miss fairly often. If I don't put it in just the right spot, they either ignore it, it sinks before they can catch it, or they bump it with some part of their body and *then* it sinks...and sunken food is just unacceptable. ;) Floating or nothing! I just vacumn the tank bottom when it starts to look cluttered, or once every couple of weeks during normal water changes to make sure that nothing too much is building up down there.
You've got a cute little guy! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote