Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #1 
Juicebox

Rescape on 14 gal npt sorrority. with pics

i had been unhappy with my tank for a few weeks so i decided to rescape .

here is before

Name:  sorority tank full pic.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  85.6 KB

and here is after.. i think the black sand looks better than the pool filter sand.. i got the black sand from petco, its actually not sand at all,its more like tiny gravel, i think they should not label it as sand,alot of it floated too so it had to be removed,hopefully the stuff in there now wont float back up when i go moving stuff around in future..

the driftwood i took out of a frozen lake during the week,it wasnt water logged so some rocks are keeping it anchored in my tank, i superglued some java moss onto the branch and also glued some java ferns on..the moss is hiding some parts where i sawed the branch to size.. dont pay attention to the guppies mixed in with female bettas please,they were just in the tank for 2 hours while i changed things around in the guppy tank and none of the fish got hurt or chased or anything i kept eye on them..

anyne got any suggestions for improvements or any criticism for me??id like to hear

Last edited by Juicebox; 01-27-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #2 
Juicebox

links not working in first post..

here is after pics

Name:  rescape 2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  rescape side view.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  69.1 KB

here is my petco bulbs i put in last week,i have some roots on the big large one,none others are sprouting roots yet, i think the large one is the water lilly,although im not sure

Name:  walmart bulbs.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  69.7 KB
Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh wow. That looks awesome! The black sand and log really make a difference! I was wondering: what is the plant that you have floating from the top? It looks really cool! If I was to add anything, I'd probably put a plant that reaches from the bottom to the top. Somewhere in the back corners. That usually creates a nice visual. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #4 
Juicebox

the floating plant on the left side is hornworth, the ones floating all over the top of the tank is dwarf water lettuce..hornworth is a pretty nice plant but it grows quickly and can take over within a month or 2,gotta keep trimming it every week or 2..
Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #5 
valen1014

It looks good! I was just wondering...have you had any issues having glue in the water? I mean, I'm not sure if it would leach anything into the water. Also, the driftwood you found is really nice! I need to find a lake nearby and go hunting for driftwood ^^
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #6 
Fishybitty

Isn't it fun just rearranging? Looks beautiful. I'm having such a hard time finding small terracotta pots in the stores.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #7 
Juicebox

michaels craft store has all sizes of terra cotta pots ranging from 80 cent to about 4 bucks.. great place to get the,,i had no luck finding any in walmart and target..

regarding the glue,ive only used it in the tank 2 days now and so far so good,i did do alot of looking around various forums and googling glue in aquariums and 99 percent say its safe,most people with reef tanks superglue their corals into place with no problems,best kind is gel type glue,i just hated trying to tie the plants on with thread,i could never get the thread tight enough so i figure ill try glue in 1 tank and see how it goes,ifit goes bad ill remove all glued items and never use it again
Old 01-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
the floating plant on the left side is hornworth, the ones floating all over the top of the tank is dwarf water lettuce..hornworth is a pretty nice plant but it grows quickly and can take over within a month or 2,gotta keep trimming it every week or 2..
Alright thank you! I'll see if I can't get my LPS to special order some for me. Thank you! (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #9 
Aurie

I have DWL too, someone keeps nibbling on it and I only get the middle thicker root and it doesn't feather out. The only one in the tank is the betta LOL.

Watch out for yellow leaves or holes. Just pick off those leaves.

I haven't found hornwort here at all. I live in Oregon and it might be considered invasive. *shrug* So is Anarachis but I found some tee hee. All they sell now is Elodia which looks the same, but has bushier leaves. Might be another one to look into.

IMO Vals might look cool in the corners and let them grow long and cover the top. Can always mow them down once they reach the top with some sissors.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #10 
NapoleonUWS

looks great!
NapoleonUWS is offline   Reply With Quote