Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #1 
OneEyedWilly

My girls LOVE the gravel vacuum!

Every time I change the water or clean their tank my girls are all over what ever I'm doing. My girls are always so curious! First it starts with the gravel vacuum they are in a planted tank with sand so I really just gently go around and pick up random debris and food bits and they follow the tube the whole time, chasing the debris up the tube and nipping at my hand, they are well fed, so its not like they are trying to eat it. Then when I am filling the tank up with fresh water ( I do this cup by cup very slowly so I don't disturb by tedious aqua-scaping ) they are dodging all around cup playing in the current and nipping at everything. It is so cute, makes a somewhat boring process entertaining though I am scared one of them is going to try and get in the grave vacuum.

What is your favorite quirk about your betta?
OneEyedWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Your girls sound so cute! My black ghost knife fish used to follow the vacuum siphoning around and I would have to push them gently out of the way. I accidently sucked up one of my bettas when siphoning his tank. Poor baby he hit the edge of the tube as he got sucked up and his eye went blood red.... I was so worried but he soon recovered.

What is my favourite quirk about my bettas..... the way that the moment I open the door and walk in the room they swim over to the side of the tank closest to me to greet me. Gotta love it!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedWilly View Post
Every time I change the water or clean their tank my girls are all over what ever I'm doing. My girls are always so curious! First it starts with the gravel vacuum they are in a planted tank with sand so I really just gently go around and pick up random debris and food bits and they follow the tube the whole time, chasing the debris up the tube and nipping at my hand, they are well fed, so its not like they are trying to eat it. Then when I am filling the tank up with fresh water ( I do this cup by cup very slowly so I don't disturb by tedious aqua-scaping ) they are dodging all around cup playing in the current and nipping at everything. It is so cute, makes a somewhat boring process entertaining though I am scared one of them is going to try and get in the grave vacuum.

What is your favorite quirk about your betta?
I don't mean to frighten you but my boy Aquarius was the same way and now he's dead because he swam under the gravel vac and was sucked up it. The vac ripped all the scales off his side and sucked out his insides, I had to finish him off with a hammer to stop his suffering. If I was you I would teach your girls to stay away from it and fear it as it is VERY dangerous and will kill your fish once one gets sucked up. I know this from experience and it's not pretty, it's painful, and horrid. Another person just recently had a girl get curious in their sorority and got sucked up with low chance she will survive. When your girls get close to it swat them away, it's like letting children run next to a running chainsaw. NOT SMART.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #4 
Newbettamommy13

How cute! My calico fantail goldfish, Pizza, was the same way only we didn't use a gravel vacuum with him. Instead, when we scrubbed the sides with the sponge he'd swim right up to it and had to keep an eye on him. We'd joke around and go "Pizza! The sponge is NOT your friend!" Lol! Don't know what Mojo would do since we haven't cleaned it with him in it yet. We just did a water change and took him out while we did but he'd probably do the same
Newbettamommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #5 
trilobite

I get annoyed at mine when they do this lol, they always manage to get sucked to it and end up with wounds. They never learn, even when it sucksonto their head... Ive even sucked up a few smaller ones but luckily I siphon into a bucket and put them back into the tank. Always makes me panic though
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #6 
bethyMT

My girls always do this too. I think it's Queenie who always ends up in the vacuum. She has never been hurt, however...she fights the current and she's never in there more than a second until I kink the hose and stop the suction. I watch very very carefully whenever I clean any tank. And I guess I've been lucky.

My boys want nothing to do with the gravel vac - they hide. My girls think it's an awesome new toy and follow it around. Those girls. Sheesh.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #7 
Hershey

My girls attack it. When they feel the suction though, they flee.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #8 
OneEyedWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I don't mean to frighten you but my boy Aquarius was the same way and now he's dead because he swam under the gravel vac and was sucked up it. The vac ripped all the scales off his side and sucked out his insides, I had to finish him off with a hammer to stop his suffering. If I was you I would teach your girls to stay away from it and fear it as it is VERY dangerous and will kill your fish once one gets sucked up. I know this from experience and it's not pretty, it's painful, and horrid. Another person just recently had a girl get curious in their sorority and got sucked up with low chance she will survive. When your girls get close to it swat them away, it's like letting children run next to a running chainsaw. NOT SMART.

OH GOSH that's horrible I couldn't imagine having to put a fish out of its misery. I try to keep them away from the bottom of the vacuum the best I can but they just come back, like its all a big game~

At least my boy is smart and he stays away, though he tends to be scared of anything I do around his tank.
OneEyedWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #9 
LadyVictorian

I stopped using a gravel vac now until I can design one that won't allow fish through but still sucks up the junk on the bottom. The guy who runs the betta shop also said he sticks a chopstick in there which keeps the fish away. He's sucked up a few fish in the past and had them die as well. I may test try it and see if it lowers the suction as well. Those things are mighty powerful once they get going, it's scary and there really should be a warning about it.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #10 
majesticstorm

I decided to do a 50% water change today, and as I was siphoning the gravel, Rain got really curious and was sticking his head near the siphon. I always have my finger in front of the end of the tubing to 1) decrease the suction and to 2) have my finger right there to stop the water flow when I think that he's getting too close to the siphon. So when he's curiously nosing around, the water flow is stopped and I either move to another area of the tank as far away from him as possible or wait for him to swim away before I continue siphoning.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote