Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #11 
Skyrocket Moon

sigh this is bad, his fins are showing fin rot. I saw a hole in his fin freaked out and did a water change to see clearer as the maracyn clouds the water and fear enough ended up being some fin rot, some of the dorsal is rubbed away,which the medication is suppose to combat as well. Crazy how he didn't have this issue 4 hours ago. But I cleared out his water 100% change with some added pre-med still.
But I fear his large belly has shot his immune system now.
He is also gulping air much more frequently.
.... as i was taking photos and typing this his gulping slowed down (must have been from the water change shake up) still it's more than normal.
Maybe I'm getting paranoid.
But hes now showing signs of discomfort. Not much I can do for shark :/ I added in 3 pinches of epsom salt over a hour pre-desolved.
Probably the cause of discomfort but also .. fin rot >.<
Skyrocket Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #12 
Shepaski

i had a female who had a very sudden case of dropsy short while back. i'm still a noob at caring for betta fish and only begun to get serious this year so that particular female of mine was housed in a 30 cm by 30 cm CUBE tank with a male betta that kept chasing her around. so i didn't see catch the symptoms of dropsy until i moved her over to my friends place since she had space to adopt a fish.
The very next day after i dropped her off at my friends place, her scales were erected and she looks like a pine cone.

came here to ask for help and unlike you guys the shops here don't sell maracyn or any medication you usually use to treat a sick fish with dropsy, all i had as Epson salt and a mysterious mix of "Dropsy medication" my pet store sold that didn't list the ingredients and info on it couldn't be found online.

The salt really helped, a day or two after we added it to her water she slimmed down and she no longer looked bloated, eventually she started eating again and pooping. right now she;s doing pretty well, i've had no news since my fish's fosterer stopped using the salt meaning things are going well.

you should try the salt, all i know is that it helps expel the access liquid inside your fish.
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #13 
Skyrocket Moon

I put more epsom salt in his tank this time half a spoon but the fin rot is takeing off like no other and the maracyn two doesn't seem to be enough for it.
clamped tail still alive breathing air but no where near healthy. He has also gotten bit bigger on the top.
Still no poo still no feed. Stays near the surface more often looks as uncomfortable as can be.

reds turning brown :*(

Last edited by Skyrocket Moon; 01-30-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #14 
Skyrocket Moon

He looks so bad and uncomfortable in the solution that I'm starting to feel like just putting him in original solution, till he goes. :(
Took him out not going to salt him just put the maracyn two back in and let it treat since he seemed to at least be comfortable in it.
The natural Epsom salt was just to much for him causing him fin rot and making his fins turn brown.
Just doesn't agree with him.
I've also lowered the amount of water in the 1/2 gallon now so it's less work for him to swim up and breath.

Last edited by Skyrocket Moon; 01-30-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #15 
Skyrocket Moon

Color is back in his fins the use of the salt pushed him to far but I'm glad his fins are back to the normal red instead of brown to going clear.
The myacyn two is about all I can do for him.
Its not helping with his bulge but at least its not depriving him of blood to his body like the salt was doing and is now killing off the fin rot. He is looking alot more comfortable in it.
but I have to keep the water change daily as there is less amount of water in the tank for breathing.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #16 
Noobetta

Keep water changes after 2 hours, any less than two hours can stress/kill the fish.

and this part of forum won't help you as much skyrocket.
Post on this part of forum with this following description.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

they should help you more than this part of the forum

Last edited by Noobetta; 01-30-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Noobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If he has lived for this long it may be constipation! Fast him for now... I hope he gets better!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #18 
Noobetta

you put half a spoon and 3 pinch of salts in a gallon less than 2gal?!
Or did you put a half of spoon in new water and change the pinchsalt water?
3 pinch salts is okay but half a spoon less than a gallon tank seems too many.

Just A pinch or 2 of predissolved salt goes a long way for me

Last edited by Noobetta; 01-30-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Noobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #19 
Skyrocket Moon

I did a full change then a half spoon could have just been to much. Been watching him very closely every hour. Hes been in clean none salted water since he looked so bad in just 20 minutes of being in that solution. So I just stoped it, he was looking better but he started swelling more.
I need to change his water too now but his balance is now off and hes so much worse now I don't think he will last the night. Lots of air intake and can't stay straight. His belly is twice the size as the first photo now. scales all around are pinecone. :( not much I can do. 0 feedings. situations just to grim :(
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #20 
Skyrocket Moon

Fins are horrid and his Scales all from head to tail pinecone q.q