Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yep, the tank will be densely planted, at that point they usually become pretty hard to overload.

For bottom dwellers I'd look into kuhli loaches, they are the only Asian bottom dweller I can think of.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #22 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Yep, the tank will be densely planted, at that point they usually become pretty hard to overload.

For bottom dwellers I'd look into kuhli loaches, they are the only Asian bottom dweller I can think of.
oooh, I like Kuhlis!! Thanks for the suggestion!!

This tank is going to take a bit to set up, since the plants are all going in first.

What do you think the would be the best substrate for my plants?

EDIT:
I think we just found a way to get my fiance excited about this biotope tank! He squeed when I showed him the Kuhli loaches, he's been wanting some for his 30 gal, but didn't know if they'd eat his shrimp.

Last edited by Skyewillow; 02-02-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #23 
Skyewillow

I know it's been a bit since I've paid any attention to this thread, but since there are members who have mentioned doing a biotope for splendens, I figured I'd come dig it up and see if we can't all add something to it!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #24 
Jexx

Hopefully we can get some of our wild keepers up in here to share their expertise ^_^
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #25 
Skyewillow

maybe we should bug them? lol

I've been spending some time trying to find bottom dwellers for a S/E Asian biotope and almost everything has been a bust.

Botia loaches are ok, which is great (and progress)

The other indigenous bottom feeders are:
Chinese Algae Eaters (aggressive)
Siamese Algae Eaters - AKA Flying Fox (aggressive)
Red tailed Shark (aggressive)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

Just remember that if you are using an ample amount of tannins in your water, even low light plants may struggle without adequate lighting. I think in a lot of the places where the water is extremely dark and is very acidic with a low mineral content, you don't see many plants. You could use hardscape (or even leaf litter which bottom dwellers will love) along the bottom of the tank to provide cover, and then use plants such as watersprite floating at the surface.

The habitats of wild bettas are varied depending on the species. Some live in a few inches of water and leaf litter, while others inhabit clearwater streams. Unless you are doing actual wild bettas, you don't need to drop your pH massively for domestic splendens to be happy.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #27 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Just remember that if you are using an ample amount of tannins in your water, even low light plants may struggle without adequate lighting. I think in a lot of the places where the water is extremely dark and is very acidic with a low mineral content, you don't see many plants. You could use hardscape (or even leaf litter which bottom dwellers will love) along the bottom of the tank to provide cover, and then use plants such as watersprite floating at the surface.

The habitats of wild bettas are varied depending on the species. Some live in a few inches of water and leaf litter, while others inhabit clearwater streams. Unless you are doing actual wild bettas, you don't need to drop your pH massively for domestic splendens to be happy.
I don't plan on going too majorly dark with it, I still like to see the fish from time to time. lol The eventual goal is a few wild splendens girls, some glass cats, and some Kuhlis. I may try to find some replicas of some of the plants, if I can't master not killing them. blargh.

The input is awesome though, and much appreciated! Thank you!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #28 
LittleBettaFish

Kuhlis would love if you put in some leaf litter. I had one that my brother gave me in a native biotope tank and it spent all its time hunting through the leaf litter and picking up the food the other fish had missed.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #29 
Skyewillow

I was planning on doing the leaf litter, I'm pleased to know that the kuhlis will be happier with it!

I'm thinking about inverts too. I know Kuhlis will eat snails, but I would like to have some shrimp in that tank. Snails won't be a huge deal, since we're planning a live food production tank (some shrimp, and some ramshorn snails) if I run out, I can always throw some ponds in there, they'll probably keep up! LOL
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #30 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah even in my extremely soft water tanks I have a massive amount of pond snails. I thought their shells would have eroded by now, but they are tough as nails. I have to do some culling every so often just to keep their numbers in check.