Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #1 
paris38

Question Soroity Question

So I'm starting a npt soroity tank and I got my tank set up and have 7 females but since it is about a 40gallon tank I want to get a few more...I would like to get some from online and also some more pet store ones.Anyway I'm going to a place with a lot of pet stores this weekend and am wondering I should keep them in there containers floating in the tank or put them in the tank now.I know it's best to put all your females in at the same time but I don't want them to sit in there cups for a week till I get more.Your advice would be a great help to me. : )
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 
registereduser

since they are all coming from different sources you probably want to keep them quarantined from each other for a few weeks. half gallon temporary housing is fine just keep the water clean
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #3 
aemaki09

+1 to registereduser!

you definitely want to QT. I decided not to quarantine 1 time and ended up with columnaris that wiped out most of my tank.

Now, for containers to put them in:: The cheapest way is to get 2 liter soda bottles and RINSE, RINSE, RINSE. Then put the girls in them and float them in your tank. That way you dont have to buy individual heaters for each one.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #4 
bettaisbetter

Yes, please QT. There's a high risk of disease with every fish so don't ever skip. I only QT'd mine for 2-3 days minimum, I'm a very impatient person. Lol.
The last female I bought had Dropsy after a few days of keeping her. I only QT'd for like 2 days and then when I put her in she wouldn't eat... I QT'd her again and then she was pine coning.. If I kept her in there for at least another day my tank would've fallen apart with disease.

Don't make the mistake of not quarantining. If you do, all your stock would appreciate it for their lives.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #5 
chicklette

Hi Paris. I am a new beta mom. I keep my female beta in a 2.5 gallon tank along with 2 zebra snails. My fish's name is Jewel, and the snail's names are esgargo and esgargone. Since Jewel is a fighting fish, it took her 3 days to accept the snails, but she's fine with them now. Hope this helps.
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #6 
Mandy Pandy

Yup, like everyone says you prolly want to quarantine for at least two weeks before adding them to the tank. I currently have ten girls all from different petstores sitting on my kitchen counter in a random assortment of containers for theirs. Some are in cut in half tea/juice jugs, two are in vases, and a few others are in tupperware containers. I'm doing daily water changes and in... another 11 days (bah) I get to add them to the tank. :)
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #7 
paris38

Thank you all for your help!I will definetly be quartining the fish like you guys have said.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote