Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #11 
SharkyTheBetta

What type of pellets do you feed her? And how many pellets do you feed her once?

I guess the red worms are the reason for black pop. I don't know what kind of worms are these ones, but I know for sure that when it comes to bloodworms they should be fed only once a week, one feeding made from 2-3 bloodworms, as a treat. In the case of red worms... I have no idea.... Maybe some other person here can tell you more.

Anyway, I suggest to fast her for a day. No pellet, no worm. And we'll see after this how she is doing. Do you usually fast her one day per week?
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #12 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyTheBetta View Post
What type of pellets do you feed her? And how many pellets do you feed her once?

I guess the red worms are the reason for black pop. I don't know what kind of worms are these ones, but I know for sure that when it comes to bloodworms they should be fed only once a week, one feeding made from 2-3 bloodworms, as a treat. In the case of red worms... I have no idea.... Maybe some other person here can tell you more.

Anyway, I suggest to fast her for a day. No pellet, no worm. And we'll see after this how she is doing. Do you usually fast her one day per week?
I feed kind of like Hikari Brand. I fee her one or two once. And I feed frozen red worms. My aqua shop worker recommend me this, and I use it. This frozen bloodworms have a lot of nutrition in Japan. Many people using that. And she likes this one. I trainning feed pellets for my fish now.
No, I never fast her. Is it nesesarry ?

Thank you so much !
norico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #13 
SharkyTheBetta

Yes, it is. You should fast her one day per week. It is very important.
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #14 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyTheBetta View Post
Yes, it is. You should fast her one day per week. It is very important.
Why I have to fast her ?
I have a few fishes, should I them ? They're healthy.

Okay, I'll do that.

Thank you so much !
Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #15 
callistra

I've only seen black poop once and I was dealing with an infection... but since you are feeding so many worms this may be why.

Actually you have been given misinformation, unfortunately. The worms are like candy or potato chips and have very poor nutritional value - very high fat and very low nutrition. They should only be fed one once a week for a treat and never as a staple.

You need to increase your pellets to at least a couple a day if not 3 or 4. A fast day is needed for all bettas to keep their digestive system normal. The pellet you are using is also full of wheat and fillers. It would be better if you could find a pellet whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish not fish meal or wheat, but the pellet you are using is not the worst.

She's not clamped or anything.. so at this point I would just fast (not feed) her for the next 2-3 days and wait for her to pass more poop and then change up her diet and see if she doesn't perk up.

As far as the head goes I would just try some tannins (indian almond leaf) and maybe some fresh water vitachem.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #16 
norico

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I've only seen black poop once and I was dealing with an infection... but since you are feeding so many worms this may be why.

Actually you have been given misinformation, unfortunately. The worms are like candy or potato chips and have very poor nutritional value - very high fat and very low nutrition. They should only be fed one once a week for a treat and never as a staple.

You need to increase your pellets to at least a couple a day if not 3 or 4. A fast day is needed for all bettas to keep their digestive system normal. The pellet you are using is also full of wheat and fillers. It would be better if you could find a pellet whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish not fish meal or wheat, but the pellet you are using is not the worst.

She's not clamped or anything.. so at this point I would just fast (not feed) her for the next 2-3 days and wait for her to pass more poop and then change up her diet and see if she doesn't perk up.

As far as the head goes I would just try some tannins (indian almond leaf) and maybe some fresh water vitachem.
I see I'll change feed my fish. I have some pellets, like Hikari brand and Otohime.

I'll fast her. And I take care of her. I use Indian Almond Leaf now. I don't get vitachem.

Thank you so much !