Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #11 
itsuki

here u can see it with the suction cup
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #12 
prettykitty123

That is so neat. I bought one of those betta hammocks, but still haven't got it out of the package. I think I will return it to the store and make one like you did.

Now, do you think the silk plants from JoAnns crafts would work just as good? I see silk plants in there all the time for flower arrangements. Also, do all suction cups from the dollar store have that hole in them? Did you have to glue the leaf into the hole at all?
prettykitty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #13 
itsuki

Just make sure the leafs don't have a wire going thru them. I've bought 2 different types of suction cups from different dollar stores and only 1 had the hole thru it, make sure u dont pierce it past the suction otherwise it wont stick. No I didn't have to glue it, i had to poke to the hole with a fork to widen it abit but i just jammed it in and i was set to go.

Last edited by itsuki; 01-29-2013 at 12:48 AM.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #14 
Kbud

That is so helpful! Thank you SO much. I love the picture. I will make one this weekend, and give away or sell the rest, since I only have room for one. In the meantime, I didn't know you could teach your betta tricks! Thanks so much! I'll have to try that!
Kbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #15 
RabidAliver

The ZooMed suction cup plants also have hidden metal that will rust. Mine loved his as well, but it rusted and may well have poisoned his water. I read you had one so...I thought I'd warn you about them.
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #16 
Kbud

Ya. I decided, I'll make one. When I complete it and when I have time, I'll post pics.
Kbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #17 
NorthernLights

You can pull the wire out of both the Zoo Med hammocks and suction-cup plants. It's not hard, and it takes only a couple of minutes with a pair of pliers. I mention this because my first attempt to home-make a betta hammock did not work and you will need to wait at least two days for the silicone to cure before putting it in the tank.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #18 
Stone

From what I have noticed with all of my bettas is the ones with the bigger heavier fins love the hammocks the ones with smaller lighter fins don use the as much.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #19 
OrangeAugust

You have to keep it close to the surface or your betta won't use it. My betta didn't use his when I put him in a tank with a filter because the water moved too much. He used it in his unfiltered tank, though. My other betta would sleep on the suction cup perpendicularly. lol. My female bettas never used theirs.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #20 
emeraldmaster

I like this thread, might i add that i made one by taking a suction cup and using aquarium silicon connected a shell that had no shard edges to it. I'm am suprised that you have to cure the silicon for only 2 days, i did it for a week because i was not sure. But the hammock works great for my veiltail! God luck makiing yours!
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta hammock, hammock, suction-cup plant