Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #1 
breezywillow

Is this an odd behavior for a betta?

I have only had my betta, Webbles, for a few days (haven't owned fish in about 15 years and then only goldfish) but I have noticed that when he is "sleeping" he anchors himself underneath the thermometer or in the doorway of his "house". I have noticed if he doesn't he slowly floats toward the top. I was a little worried about bloat but he doesn't go onto his side, he floats straight up and always starts swimming after a few seconds of floating up. And he only does this when he appears to "sleep", other times he can hold himself near the bottom of the tank without floating up. Is this normal? Should he have to anchor himself that way when he "sleeps"? He hasn't really eaten since I got him. I tried to feed him two pellets the first day and he just spit them both out after a few seconds of "chewing". I then tried to give him a single bloodworm and he did the same thing. The second day I gave him one pellet, broken into two smaller pieces, and one flake. He would swim up to them both and "sniffed" them and then swam away. A few minutes later I put a single bloodworm in and he ate it, but I know he cannot live on bloodworms alone. From what I understand, this not eating for the first few days in a new home is pretty normal so I'm not too worried about this unless it goes on for more than a week or so. His color is still good and he is pretty active, has an awesome personality (he makes an "O" with his mouth if I start doing it near his tank lol), so I'm hoping everything will be ok with him. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love my Webbles and want him to be a part of my family for many years.
breezywillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #2 
inveritas

That's normal, my betta has to anchor himself somewhere when he sleeps too. I put a little porcelain hamster hideout (pic below) in the tank where he can sleep soundly away from strong lights and water current created from the filter. He floats around the roof/top of the hideout instead of around the tank now so he won't bump into other stuff!

Don't worry about the eating part, most bettas take a few days to get used to their new environment. I had bettas which wouldn't eat with people watching, and bettas which eat everything, including pellets and flakes!

Last edited by inveritas; 01-28-2013 at 05:34 AM.
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #3 
breezywillow

Thank you for answering!! :)

Ok, thats a relief, thank you so much for answering. I have another question, if you or anyone else doesnt mind answering. I currently have him in a 2 gallon 360 deg view Hawkeye tank with no filter, a heater and a bubblestone aerator. From what I have read, I cant cycle with a tank that doesnt have a filter. I currently do a 50-75% water change daily and 100% once a week, I dont really mind the frequent water changes, just dont want it to be stressful on Weebles moving him in and out of his tank so often. I was considering two things. The first is getting a 1-3 gallon Tetra in-tank filter for the two gallon or upgrading to the Tetra halfmoon 3 gallon tank, which a filter comes with it. My concerns with those two are as follows:
Getting a filter for my 2 gal
1. Have read that even with a filter, anything under 5 gal will not hold a
cycle and I will still have to do the same amount of water changes I
currently do.
2. That in a 2 gal the flow from the filter would create too much of a
current for him. Was wondering if putting the outflow of the filter as
close to the water as possible would help this?
My concerns for the 3 gal are pretty much the same. That since its under 5 gal, I cant cycle the tank and would just make the water changes harder on myself since its a bigger tank. And since this filter is on the side of the tank I wouldnt be able to adjust the height from the water to constrict the current it creates. I'm really confused on this and not sure if I should do anything since, so far, the current situation hasnt gotten too overwhelming for me. Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can offer
Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #4 
Saphira101

You may be over changing the water a bit. here's a link to OFL's sticky for water change recommendations:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #5 
inveritas

With bi-weekly or weekly water changes (daily is too much) you really don't have to put in a filter - but if you want to, try a small internal filter, and have the output as close to the walls of the tank as possible to create a waterfall effect, and sandwich a sponge between so you don't disturb the water too much.
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #6 
Sparrowhawk

If you want to try and cycle your tank you can, from what I've heard. I posted a thread a little while ago asking about cycling my 3.9g tanks, and apparently cycling small tanks can be done, but with difficulty. If you're up for trying, and are prepared to do heaps of maintenance in getting it going (which it sounds like you're fine with going by your current schedule) I don't see why you can't try. You could make a sponge filter, you've already got the bubbler. :)

But if you do choose to stay unfiltered, I'd cut back on the changes a little.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #7 
breezywillow

Thanks so much guys, I'm so glad I found this site and forum. Thanks Saphira, I read OFL's thread when I first got on but then read a few others and alot of those where suggesting daily water changes for such a small tank. However, I think you, OFL and the others on this feed are right, I'm changing too much. I'll be cutting back to twice weekly 50% and one 100% change :) Thats a good idea with the filter inveritas, I think I'll hold off on the filter for now but if I do get one, I'll def be trying your sponge idea :) I have heard of the sponge filters Sparrowhawk and am quite intrigued. I've been researching some DIY was to start one and it doesn't seem that hard. The only thing I'm worried about is where and how to stick it on. My tank has the plastic slitted piece under the gravel that the plastic column sticks into and you drop the tube and bubble stone into the column. From what it looks like you stick the column piece into the sponge. Does this mean I wont need that plastic slitted piece anymore? And I assume the sponge has to be above the gravel, so how would I keep the sponge and column from floating away or falling over if they aren't anchored in the gravel? Thanks so much again :)
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #8 
Sparrowhawk

I'm not sure about the DIY ones from experience, as I just bought some ready-made ones for really cheap on eBay, but here's a thread I found very informative and helped take the mystery out of sponge filters for my newbie-ness. XD

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=126530
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #9 
breezywillow

Awesome link Sparrowhawk, did answer alot of my questions, especially with the pictures. Thanks so much :)
Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #10 
Sparrowhawk

No problem, waterdog did a great job of explaining everything about them, right?