Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #1 
MomaDragonfly

My boy is sick!!!

Something is def up with my VT boy Firefly... Hes my first Betta and ive only had him a week. In another thread I described how hes been acting the past few hours, with a bit of white stuff on his underneath. Someone said it may be Internal Parasites. Im gong to go the pet store tomorrow and try to get what they recommened. If anything knows what may be wrong with him please let me know. Hes been in his 5 gal tank for a total of 4 days. I was going to changed the water first thing in the morning, after I got the water test kit. I don't understand where he could have picked up a parasite. We feed Betta bites and freeze dried blood worms. no tank mates other then two live plants. Unless it came from the plants, which came from the local petstore. Im upset. I don't want to lose him so soon. Any suggestions are welcomed. I coudn't get a good picture of his White bit hanging there, so I made a videa and posted to you tube. Didn't know any other way to post it on here. Please help me help my VT. I want to be a good fishy owner, and im really trying. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/1ptBpMLjJrk
MomaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #2 
MomaDragonfly

A small update to the post above... I ran into the breeder of the Betta for my local petstore and he watched the video on my cell. He said he just looked consitpated and to fast him for a few days. The white bit was more then likely a piece of poo from too many bloodworms... But, still if anyone has an input on the video im open to all suggestions. After a water changed and no food today he seems to be doing better. Not laying on the bottom and swimming around more.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #3 
callistra

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #4 
MomaDragonfly

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank?
79-80 f
Does your tank have a filter? Tetra WhisperMicro
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? n/a
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
2 plants. Anubis and banana

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH Betta Bites- 1st 3 ingridents are fish meal, shrimp meal, soybean meal
How often do you feed your betta fish? 6 days 7-8 pellets. had given him freeze dried blood worms for 3 days before this happened along with the pellets. I didn't know I was only suppose to give those as a treat not very often :(

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1st one done today in 5 gal.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta H20 conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: was between .25 and .30 before change. .0 after
Nitrite:
Nitrate: n/a
pH: 7.5 after change
Hardness:n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? notiiced a small chunk out of tail yesterday afternoon wasn't there in the AM
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? before the water change, very lethargic and floating to the bottom with no movemnt. AFTER water change, seems like hes pacing in one small area... very fast movements and his mouth is opening and closing constantly. last night he had a little white bit hanging around the middle of his body. The anal fin? It dropped off after a couple hours. Also, haven't feed his since yesterday. Going to try and feed again tomorrow.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday afternoon
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? n/a
Does your fish have any history of being ill? n/a
How old is your fish (approximately)?
unsure. hes about 2 in long. only had him for 1 week from local petstore.

sorry I didn 't fill this out before. Im new to this page and did not know. I apologize.

Last edited by MomaDragonfly; 02-25-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #5 
MomaDragonfly

He is acting rearly really crazy now!!! He's frantically swimming in a small space... almost looks like a seizures. Very quick twitching motion. Half rolls onto his side and goes back and forth. I'm very worried about him. Someone please answer me. He's literally acting crazy. His mouth is wild open and closing.... very strange!!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #6 
callistra

All I see is a clamped betta with a gray beard.. both signs of stress.. As far as the new symptoms, if it's not a buoyancy problem, he may be in organ failure..

Did you remove the metal from that hammock? It rusts and leaches toxins which can be lethal..

At this point I would leave him in a dark place, or place a towel over his tank to leave him in the dark. I would not feed him and I would fast him 3 days. I might also look for some epsom salt - pure 100% magnesium sulfate with no additives. I get mine from CVS Pharmacy. Predissolve at 1 tsp per gallon and add over an hour to avoid shock. Only replace along with a water change and only as much water you change.

How did you do the water change? Did you match temp water using his thermometer? Did you add conditioner before you put it in the tank? I might suggest more water changes or to leave him alone depending on how you answer this..

This is a good guide to cycling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

As a side note, me that filter is an issue because the carbon requires you to replace it monthly, but there is only one media so every time you replace the cartridge you restart your cycle.. I would replace the biobag and stuff it full of 2 aquarium sponges. These you only need to replace one a year, and I would replace them a month a part. Placing a porous sponge over the intake wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #7 
MomaDragonfly

There was no metal on the hammock at all, its all plastic... silky leaf. Yes, I treated the water before putting it into the tank, and yes, it was up to temp not with his from his tank, but another termometer. I don't know much about the filters, as this is my very first tank. Ive read from some ppl that the carbon dies out after a few months to just leave it alone and swish in tank water every few months. I will look into the filter sponges. The intake at the bottom is very small slits... when he was first in the tank it didn't bother him at all. He swam under it with no problem. For two days now he hasn't stopped this "pacing" in the front of the tank. He does go up for air regulary, but he hasn't moved from the very front of the tank. He was also using the skull a lot going in and out and he hasn't been in there for 2 days either.

As far as the beard, it was that color when I got him, it hasn't really changed at all. His color doesn't seem any less vibrant to me, but I may be missing something. Im a little off about the epsom salt too... that seems harsh. Ive heard aquarium salt is good too... I will look at the CVS we have in town. Thanks for the input. I do apperciate it.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #8 
callistra

There is metal in the hammock..lots of talk on the forums about this. If you pull the leaf off the suction cup you will see there is metal through the stem of the leaf..

In this case I would remove the hammock until you can figure out how to get the metal out, and do a series of 4 50% water changes.. space them out.. do one, wait 10 minutes.. wait an hour repeat. Thermometers can be many degrees off so you should use the same one to test both

Probably with the carbon is that it will start to leach phosphates after a while so it really does need to get replaced, which is why I would not use it as an exclusive filter. How much gets leached depends on the quality of the carbon.

Bettas are kept in really horrible conditions in pet stores, so your betta should be coloring up, losing the gray beard and unclamping. At the very least he is showing signs of stress.

Is there any way you can share a video of his behavior?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #9 
MomaDragonfly

its takes while to upload the video, because I have to use my phone, but i can definitly do that. I didn't even notice the leaf. I'll take it out and try and get that out of there, if not, I'll just leave it out, he hasn't really used it at all yet.
do you mean 4 water changes in one day?? Spaced an hour apart?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

All those water changes might stress the poor guy even more, why should all that be done callistra ? I did not find any wire in my leaf hammock an had one in my tank for a couple of months with no problems. I finally took it out only because I got live floating plants and he never used it anyway.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote