Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #11 
Dragonfin

Or should I use Sechem Betta Basics?
Dragonfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #12 
Tikibirds

I would go with prime, the other one will alter the PH. It's best to leave the PH alone as the betta will adjust to it. Prime is a popular water conditioner and can be used in any sized tank but the instructions given are for a 50 or 60 gallon tank. The smaller bottle is supposed to come with a dropper or so I have heard.

I actually use stress coat for my conditioner and then add a dash of prime for my non filtered tanks
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #13 
shellieca
Reference Team

Prime will ONLY detoxify the ammonia 1ppm per dose if I'm not mistaken & it ONLY does this for 24-48 hrs which gives a filter time to process out ammonia/nitrItes. BUT your tank is unfiltered & not planted so you would have to dose Prime daily or at least every other day to keep your water safe.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #14 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfin View Post
I have glass rocks, no gravel, and yes, I rinse them because food and poo get stuck in them. I have no filter or live plants, so do I have bacterial colonies?

You should never, ever rinse your rocks - if you absolutely have to, rinse them in tank water at least - never tap water. Do you at least have fake plants? If you have fake plants, you'll still have some bacteria on them unless you rinsed them also. The bacteria eliminate ammonia and nitrite in your water. Without them, you'll always be fighting with ammonia.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #15 
Tikibirds

If the tank has no filter then yes, you do 100% water changes and clean out the substrate. The tank cant cycle without a filter and therefore no BB bacteria
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=98795

If the ammonia is from the tap and not including any new ammonia produced by the fish...if it is at .5 and they treat with prime which takes care of the ammonia from the tap - does the ammonium or whatever its been convered to turn back into ammonia after a certain amount of time?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-29-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #16 
Dragonfin

I went tonight and got the Prime, and then this, too
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...s/AmGuard.html

I also bought pellet food (had been on flakes).

Now I am noticing, under light, he has tiny, tiny salt crystal or smaller type speckles on his head, especially. They are white.

What could that be?

I put a few drops of the AMGaurd in and will re-test in a bit to see if it is helping.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #17 
Dragonfin

Ohhhhh. Did some research. I bet it is Ich. I did a total water change again, put the new Prime stuff in, dissolved 3 tsp. of aquarium salt and then added it, and now Phineas is in his floating tank transitioning to the big one. I lowered the water level to get the temp. into the 80's. It is not an adjustable heater - just a 7.5 watt Betta Stick.

I guess I will shop AGAIN tomorrow for some Ich remedy.

Tags
ammonia, api master test