Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #1 
madmonahan

Question Best soil and plants?

I'm thinking of starting a NPT in my divided 10G. What is the best type of soil you can get from PetSmart?

What is the best type of plants for this size tank?
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #2 
Desensitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonahan View Post
I'm thinking of starting a NPT in my divided 10G. What is the best type of soil you can get from PetSmart?

What is the best type of plants for this size tank?
Petsmarts best planted substrate is hands down eco complete. Should be a good price too given the cost of shipping. In terms of plants Anacharis grows the fastest of any plants at petsmart, and is probably the best choice if you are going to get a single plant. It grows like crazy under most conditions, is easily replicated, and is readily available at petsmart.
Desensitizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #3 
itsuki

miracle gro potters choice organic mix, wal mart or home depot. many vids floating on youtube using this soil. extra work involved but people swear by it and the lady diana walstad who wrote the book ecology of the planted aquarium uses it too. make sure to cap it with gravel or sand.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #4 
madmonahan

Thank you.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

for a 10g I highly tecommend water wisteria. just having the one species planted right in the middle of your tank and allowing it to spread out can create a fairtale like scape :)

to be honest any substrate usually works with hardy plants. floramax is basically dry ecocomplete, I dont really buy into the whole bacteria in substrate stuff... Personally i would get floramax so that I'm not paying for water.

Last edited by ao; 01-29-2013 at 02:41 AM.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #6 
madmonahan

Only water wisteria?

If I where to order some from someone on this website. How can a pick out the snail eggs/snails, and dead plants?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #7 
Sprinkles55

There's loads of plants you can get but it all depends on the soil and the lighting. I personally love crypts, they all grow wonderfully in anything. Water sprites are pretty, any type of moss works great too. Pygmy chain swords are beautiful, and anubias are great too but you just tie it to some driftwood or some sort of ornament. Water lettuce is a great floating plant. Umm what else.. Java fern, cabomba, dwarf hair grass, hygrophilia corymbosa. Just choose which ones you want :)
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #8 
Sprinkles55

Also there's a guy I found on here and ordered through his facebook sales page. He's in the classified section, but I forgot his username on here plus the forum he made... His facebook page is yourplantedtank.com. Hope I helped!
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #9 
madmonahan

Thanks! I still have plenty of questions before I start anything so one more question for now. ;)

I have heard some plants grow very fast and that I will need to do something with extra plant? What do I do with the overgrown plants?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #10 
madmonahan

What kind of cypts do you recommend Sprinkles??