Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #1 
MorganC2010

Question Betta Exercise Opinion Question

Hello, over the past few days I've posted a couple questions and something came up and I want to know what your opinion is.

The issue is about exercising your bettas with a mirror to get them to flare. when I first joined the site a while ago I kept getting that it was good to 'play' with my bettas by holding up a mirror for them and allowing them to flare at it for a short amount of time. So I did this for a long time. My betta Tiberius loved it while Eugene wasn't interested in it and Vladimir was afraid of it so I only continued to do it with Tiberius. I recently tried it with my newer betta Jasper, I'm not sure how he feels about it yet, he was more "what the heck is that" kind of reaction.

However I recently had someone on here tell me not to do it at all because it causes them to have panic attacks and its bad for their minds. This person was very helpful with everything else I had asked but that was the first time someone told me it was extremely bad for my boys.

So I would like to know your opinion on using a mirror to exercise your bettas if they seem to enjoy it. I only do it with Tiberius because he always seemed to enjoy it. He would always get a chip on his shoulder afterwards like "Yeah, I showed that other guy!" Let me know what you think, I dont want to cause distress to my boys but I dont want to take away Tiberius' favorite hobby if it's ok.
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's fine, actually really good for them. Do you think there are no other males in the wild for them to flare at? It will improve color, readiness to breed, and energy.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #3 
MorganC2010

That's what I thought and why I did it but I was worried when someone told me it was bad for them. But like I said 2 out of my 4 either dont like it or dont care and 1 isn't sure about it yet. But so far I'm gonna keep it up with Tiberius, he loves it.

But i'd still love to hear from other members as well :) Thanks for commenting MattsBettas!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #4 
GoodMorning

well, i'd have to agree with you that if Tiberius is the only one that enjoys it, then only do it with him. The other ones can quite frankly get scared and stressed out. Although, it is possible for Tiberius to get a little banged up if he's the type that attempts to hit or bite at his reflection. I wonder if showing him a female would entice his activity the same way, maybe you can try.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #5 
MorganC2010

No, he pretty much leaves his reflection on glass alone. I wonder if it's because I've only done it with one mirror so he knows what that means. I know he of course flares when he sees my other bettas during cleaning if I set their cups within sight of each other but I only have males.

I might get killed if I bring another one home, I didn't stop hearing about it for several months when I brought Jasper home, so getting a female is out of the question right now :/

OH! on a funny note I just remembered that Eugene who is uninterested in the mirror will flare at my dog. lol. Only my dog too. If I have him in a cup while cleaning his tank my small dog Lizard with go up and sniff the cup, then he gets scared when Eugene starts flaring at him. He starts whining and runs to me lol. It's so funny! But that's the only thing Eugene flares at, which just shows you how much personality they have and how different they can be.

Tags
exercise, flare, mirror