Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #1 
Saphira101

Question is there any way to deal with a bent spine?

I was just wondering, as I saw this little female at Petco with a sort of a hunchback... She did not look too well, but then again, more than half of the bettas there were dying of ammonia poisoning. :( I was wondering if they have to be euthanized of if they can go on living like normal.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

If she is put into clean water and given a lot of TLC she has every chance of recovery, however she may be left with some permanent damage but that is not to say that she cannot live a long and happy life
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #3 
Saphira101

Thank you. At the moment I don't plan to get more Bettas 'till Pi's healed up, but I was just wondering for the future.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #4 
Myates

Personally.. would stay away from those deformities, and purchasing sick fish all together.. no reason to risk the health of your other fish by bringing in unknown diseases/health issues.

Bent spine could be from a birth defect, a disease, damage or malnourishment. No guarantee how it will live in the long run as you don't know what is causing it.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #5 
Saphira101

Thanks Myates. If I had ended up getting her, she would have her own tank altogether, or I would quarantine her for at least a month and a half.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #6 
tnvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Personally.. would stay away from those deformities, and purchasing sick fish all together.. no reason to risk the health of your other fish by bringing in unknown diseases/health issues.

Bent spine could be from a birth defect, a disease, damage or malnourishment. No guarantee how it will live in the long run as you don't know what is causing it.
Agreed. I stay away from sick or defective fish.
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #7 
Saphira101

What if you plan to rescue?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #8 
bryanacute

As some have said, I wouldn't..... its a risk and it could be a bit of a waste of money if the fish dies..... sorry
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #9 
chardzard

yea i agreed too it not worth doing that, it's best to leave them alone, this is wat i have been telling the youngsters latey "dont kill all just to save 1" so i have a drain i put any sick fish in, deforms go by the oscar tank
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #10 
Myates

"Rescuing" is risky - you may keep them in their own tanks, but there can still easily be cross contamination due to equipment used to clean, feed, etc.
Personally "rescuing" is not a bad thing, but it's not something people do for long periods of time - after a while all the deaths and illnesses you bring into the house will get to you and will become disheartening. I haven't seen any "rescue" people last a good chunk of time due to that.

You get one and get it to good health, bring in a sick fish and you accidentally placed a finger in their tank, and then touched the food for the healthy fish and now you got two sick/dead fish.

So pretty much, in my opinion, for the well being of your healthy fish and the well being of your emotions, a healthy fish is the best route to go.. hard to face a death of a fish you become attached to over and over.

Now, on the flip side if you know what is ailing the fish and you can treat it such as fin rot.. that isn't so bad. The only "rescue" I had done was a blind white PK boy that was at a Petco for at least a month.. he had no health problems other than being blind - knew I could care for him so I grabbed him after seeing him there a couple times. That type of rescue isn't so bad either :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote