Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

female betta seems to have male characteristics?

I have a female betta who I've had for about 4 months. I got her when she was still really small and had a horizontal stripe I think from being so young. Anyway, she has grown a lot since then, but she seems to have really long ventrals and a really big anal fin for a female. She does have an egg spot, but she also gets vertical stripes when she's excited. I know only females get those.
But here's a pic of her. What do you guys think?
EDIT: Grr I don't know why this thing has been turning my pictures sideways lately...
Attached Images

OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #2 
OrangeAugust

Also, does she look like a Spade Tail? Here's a better pic (but still sideways )
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #3 
tilli94

I have a female who's the exact same way. She also flares at everything and attacks my fingers when I try to fix anything in her tank.
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Hehe yeah! She's always biting me when I put my hand in the water!
She has only flared a few times, though, but it's really cute.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #5 
Shadyr

I think you might be onto something. The fins *do* look a little long. You got this one quite young, it sounds like, so there could be every possibiilty that a young he was mislabeled as a she.

I have read on this site, but not seen personally, that immature males might also appear to have an egg spot.

...and that does look like a spadetail to me!

I'd lean toward "Young male" based on those pictures.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #6 
Bootsie

She does look like a ST.

I do think you have a female. Her body is fatter and stubbier like a female, her tail, even though a tad longer is still short in comparison to her body and even if you had gotten her young youve had her for at least 4 months and they're pretty distinguishable. Also, remember that just like humans (or any other creature) each one has their own personality. My blue HM female flares at everything and anyone, my red vt male actually lets me pet him and hand feed him while my opaque ct seems to have food aggression, flares at me while he's eating but otherwise couldn't care less.

Your girlie is a beauty :)

Last edited by Bootsie; 01-29-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #7 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
I have read on this site, but not seen personally, that immature males might also appear to have an egg spot.
Yes, I've heard the same thing, but the only thing that gives me pause is that she also gets "breeding stripes"- the vertical ones. They come and go quite often (usually at feeding time when she's excited. hehe), and as far as I know only females get those. Can young males also change their color like that- the way they sometimes have a fake egg spot?

Her body is also shaped more like a male's body...

The first thing that made me wonder about her gender is that I used to have a female who had these really cute, triangle-shaped ventrals. But Jasper has these long skinny ones. And then her anal fin kept growing larger and I was like, "Hmmm..."
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #8 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
She does look like a ST.

I do think you have a female. Her body is fatter and stubbier like a female, her tail, even though a tad longer is still short in comparison to her body and even if you had gotten her young youve had her for at least 4 months and they're pretty distinguishable. Also, remember that just like humans (or any other creature) each one has their own personality. My blue HM female flares at everything and anyone, my red vt male actually lets me pet him and hand feed him while my opaque ct seems to have food aggression, flares at me while he's eating but otherwise couldn't care less.

Your girlie is a beauty :)
Ok, cool.
And yay, a spade tail! I had only seen one in pictures before.
And thanks for the compliment. I'll tell her. haha. Yeah she is a beauty. The interesting thing is that she used to be metallic green, and still if you flash a light right on her, she's metallic green. But with the light above her she's that purple/blue and red color.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Spades are another variation of veiltail.

All of my females flare, it's just how they are

Some of my fry have had the really long anal fins, which really if coming from parents who both or one have that trait, it can be passed down to more than just the males. However, some can surprise you even then
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

supposedly you an tell by the ventral fins somehow
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote