Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #1 
Bungertswife

New to Breeding Bettas

Hello,
I am new to breeding bettas however, upon getting my female at a store my boyfriend and I plus the worker noticed that she was quite full of eggs. We had bought a male crowntail but realized he is too small compared to her so we then yesterday bought a male veil tail who is a little bigger than her. I am looking for some advice on how to get them to breed. We currently have the 3 of them in their own setups, my male veil tail's tank is next to my female plakats tank so they can see each other. He was blowing bubbles and has started spending more time near her just chilling or flaring and showing off to her.

We are planning on getting a complete 10 gallon aquarium for them to breed in. I am just wondering what all I have to get for them to ensure proper mating. What should their water quality levels be at? How can I get them to spawn? Is it ok if he doesn't have a huge nest or a big one before introducing them? (I know online says some males won't make a nest til after they breed). Is it normal for a female to be turned away from food when shes full of eggs?

A question about the fry as well....My local pet store sells brine shrimp eggs in a big tube for $5.79 per pack, they also sell a brine shrimp hatchery for $24.00 or something like that....Should I get the kit as well? Then on the eggs package it said to use rock salt but they said use aquarium salt....What should I use to hatch the eggs and where would I get it?

For the breeding tank, I know she will need hides to get away from the male at times...do you prefer using live plants, silk plants or fake plants? Or do you just use simple aquarium decorations? I want to use live plants but want to make sure that will be ok for both the breeding bettas and the fry...

Lastly, I want to apologize ahead of time. I get some people may be against the breeding of bettas for first time people but I would like to just say, everyone is a first time breeder and this is my first time. I know it will take time, money and patience and thats not anything to worry about. I want my bettas to be happy, healthy and successful even if its just a one time thing. So please, don't be rude or anything, just show me respect. I love all my animals equally no matter how big or small and want to ensure the best that I can give them.

Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated. (Oh and currently my young male crowntail is on floating pellets and I am giving both my male veil tail and female plakat bettas freeze dried bloodworms for conditioning)
Bungertswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

www.bettatalk.com

www.bettysplendens.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vUqYf5fThk

Those should get you started. Eventually I'll come out with my own tutorial series now that I have proper camera gear and editing skills.

The BBS hatcheries suck in my experience and are way overpriced. I use this set up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx9zTOnQ
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well, I know everyone starts somewhere. First, I would like you to reconsider breeding veiltails. It is a very dominant gene, and you will have trouble selling them and will contribute to the millions of veiltails dying on shelves. Live plants are the best. Brine shrimp need aquarium salt but, rock salt will work. No need for a expensive hatchery, a jar with an airstones works. Freeze dried blood worms are mediocre at best, I would use NLS pellets and mealworm guts. Bloodworms every so often for variety.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #4 
Bungertswife

Thanks for those videos. It was helpful, especially upon learning that if I go the live plant route they will harbor infusoria for the fry :D
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Yeah I would also reconsider breeding pet store bettas. But yeah those are the links I usually send people. Also an investment in a microworm culture never hurts.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #6 
Bungertswife

I got a veil tail as all the males even from my local breeder are too small to breed with my female, however I will consider finding another type if possible. I know breeding pet shop anything can lead to issues, and for me it was because she was full of eggs already that I got her and want to either breed her or help her release the eggs so as she doesn't become sick or die. Lastly, where is the best place to get a microworm culture? I know I do ideally want to set up a brine shrimp culture, get infusoria growing and get microworms or even vinegar eels. Whats the best way to help infusoria grow? I read something online about getting snails to put in the breeding tank to help but wouldn't they end up harming the fry?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Aquabid you can get micros cheap.

She won't get sick or die from eggs. She'll just absorb them or release them on her own.

Infusoria just needs a lot of light for a week before you breed the fish and plants and a very gentle sponge filter. Common pond snails or ramshorn are my preferred snails.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #8 
Bungertswife

Awesome, just didn't know if the snails would do harm.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Certain snails can. I've never had issues with those except for their ability to overpopulate.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Snails may eat the eggs while they are in the nest.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta breeding, first time breeder