Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #1 
lpfanatic2003

Water Molds

I'm having to do 100% water changes and full cleaning on 3 of my tanks DAILY because of a slime that is forming on the bottom as well as on the top of the water. What I am wondering is if there is anything I can do to stop the cycle, I'm sure the constant water changes and transfers from their tanks to the cups and back is causing more than enough stress and I don't want to continue to have to put them through this. The weird thing is that it is only happening on 3 of my 5 tanks and seems to even completely skip one.

Yes, this is a copy of the one I posted in Betta Chat, I realized AFTER I posted it that it was in the wrong category.
lpfanatic2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #2 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfanatic2003 View Post
I'm having to do 100% water changes and full cleaning on 3 of my tanks DAILY because of a slime that is forming on the bottom as well as on the top of the water. What I am wondering is if there is anything I can do to stop the cycle, I'm sure the constant water changes and transfers from their tanks to the cups and back is causing more than enough stress and I don't want to continue to have to put them through this. The weird thing is that it is only happening on 3 of my 5 tanks and seems to even completely skip one.

Yes, this is a copy of the one I posted in Betta Chat, I realized AFTER I posted it that it was in the wrong category.
from what i got from this board, presence of bb (good bacteria) is related to slimy feel on anything in the tank (substrate, decors, heater, etc). I would not scrub it off unless it is algae. just my thoughts.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #3 
Myates

The slime at the surface of the water is excess protein - harmless and can use a paper towel to scrape it out of the tank.

As for the bottom of the tank - is there food debris that collects there? What conditioner are you using? Are the fish sloughing off excess slime coating?
How big are the tanks? Decorations in there?

Some slime build up is normal in tanks - can just clean it out during the weekly water changes.. but can't tell how much is building up in there without pictures, so can't tell if what you have is normal, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #4 
lpfanatic2003

The tanks are 1 gallon. They were previously on the top level of my desk kinda in a corner. I moved them around and one of them completely stopped with the slime stuff but the other one is still having build up but nowhere near as bad. I have taken a pic of what I'm talking about. It's all on the bottom of the tank now and there isn't any excess food (cut feedings down as well to see if that helped). I'm really stumped by what's going on with them. I'm thinking it may be dust related just based on the moving of the tanks and the decrease in the water slime/mold.

As for the water conditioner for now I'm using the tablets that come in the betta care kits you get at Wal-Mart. Not too sure if that's the best thing to use or not but for now after loosing my job I'm doing the best I can for my fish.........I already lost 2 of the 5 baby bettas I had gotten from Petco (1 to ich and another to fin rot) and don't want to loose any more.
Attached Images

Last edited by lpfanatic2003; 01-29-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #5 
Otterfun

maybe it's algae? was the tank in direct sunlight?
did you do a water change recently and how ofter and what is the quantity of water changed?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #6 
lpfanatic2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
maybe it's algae? was the tank in direct sunlight?
did you do a water change recently and how ofter and what is the quantity of water changed?
The tank is not in direct sun light and that was 2 days after a 100% water change and cleaning the gravel, plants, and tank itself.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #7 
MollyJean

Do you have any driftwood or decorations that came from outdoors or a garden center? This happens often in driftwood and river rocks but I don't see either in your tank. (If that pic is your tank)

It's harmless on driftwood. It's a bacteria bloom that's attacking something on your rocks/decor/tank. In a larger, cycling tank It'll go away on it's own, and you can just scrape it off if it bothers you, but it's best to just let it run it's course. Seeing as you have a 1 gallon tank, I would remove everything from the tank, scrub and boil your decorations and scrub down your gravel in a vinegar and water solution. Scrub the sides of the tank in the same solution and rinse EVERYTHING THOROUGHLY! There's some kind of outside contamination in your tank that the bacteria is growing on.. If it's not driftwood, I have no idea what it could be; I don't know what's in your tanks.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #8 
Myates

Not algae - it could easily be the tablets (never personally used them.. even the Betta Safe liquid conditioner at walmart is most likely better).. also it could possibly be dirt/dust as you had mentioned, that was my first thought.
Do the tanks have a lid, or are they near the door/air vent?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #9 
Kwomais

You know, I have the same stuff growing on the thermometer suction cup in my npt. It doesn't grow anywhere else, just the thermometer's suction cup. I suck it up every WC (biweekly) and it grows back within 48 hrs, almost to it's full thickness again. It's kind of jelly/fluffy-like, right? (FYI there are no fish in my npt, just a few pond snails and a bajillion baby ramshorns).
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #10 
lpfanatic2003

I don't have any driftwood or any other external stuff in the tanks besides the plants (plastic) and the gravel which has been boiled twice. I can say that since I posted that pic that the slime layer has receded down to a thin layer next to a corner in one of the tanks and completely cleared up on the other. They have lids that have air slits and the only air movement comes from the fan that is on every once in a while. I'm going to change to the betta safe water drops once I get some form of an income. I'm hoping (and thinking) it'll just cycle out this time around.