Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #1 
Elliriyanna

Exclamation IS my tank the right temp?

I have a preset heater and today my thermometer arrived and I noticed my tank is only staying around 74-76 but it feels SO much colder ( I had my hands in it planting)
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #2 
aemaki09

The only way you could tell for sure is by getting a second thermometer to test.
What kind of thermometer are you using? Glass or the kind that stick to the front of the tank? Glass is 10000x more accurate.

Also, regaurdless of if the temp reading is at the right temp or reading higher than the water really is, the minimum temp for a betta is 78, so you will want to look into a different heater either way.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #3 
Elliriyanna

Its glass I won't use those cruddy stick on ones ... Ok I thought that might be the case ... I am ordering a nice new thermometer for my ADF tank so they can have this one since their temp range is 72 - 80 so this one will be perfect :D

the one I am looking at I can adjust the temp so it should be perfect :)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Yeah, adjustable heaters are definitely the way to go.
I have hydor theos in half my tanks and they are turning out to be the best heaters I've ever had! Shatterproof in case you forget to unplug them during a large change! And they happen to be a very reasonable price on amazon, especially if you have prime membership.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #5 
Elliriyanna

I am looking at a hagen elite submersible ... It has great reviews everywhere I have looked

Will my betta be ok at this temp for a few weeks? I don't get paid until Valentines day
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

They will be okay as long as it does not fluctuate too much. Definitely get the heater asap :) If you do not have a filter or bubbler do know that the temperature is very different where the heater is, and let's say closer to the bottom. Hence why I always have a bubbler or filter running to allow the heat to evenly distribute.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #7 
Elliriyanna

He has a 10 gallon in tank filter ( which I also plan to change down the road but he does fine with it)

I will check if it fluctuates at all so hopefully it doesn't ... He has been living with this heater since I got him on the 13th
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #8 
aemaki09

If he has been fine with it that long, he should be okay until the 14th. But regaurdless I'd definitely try to get a new one ASAP.

Hagen elite heaters are nice! I had them before I switched to the theo. they just broke any time I forgot to unplug so I had to switch
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #9 
Elliriyanna

I will definitely keep that in mind lol. I will get him a new heater ASAP ... I do have to pay for a tumor removal for my rat as well so hopefully that won't be TOO much
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #10 
Kwomais

Tumour removal for a rat? You ARE a responsible pet owner!
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote