Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #1 
SolomonFinch

Unhappy Gravel Vacuum/Cleaner Accident

I was just cleaning the gravel in my sorority tank. One of the girls was accidently sucked THROUGH the manual vacuum part and into the tube. She immediately swelled from the pressure, suction.
Obviously I feel terrible. I have her isolated in a container with a heater, hammock and water treated with epson salt (to draw out the fluid obviously accumulated) and a hammock.
I have every fish remedy I can buy. I have several tanks, but have never been stupid enough to do something like this. She is listless and breathing hard... the epson has helped with the swelling her scales have flattened SOMEWHAT from their pine cone appearance the accident caused.
this only happened about 20 minutes ago.
has anyone else done this, what happened and what should i do?
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #2 
callistra

I've seen it happen only one other time and your betta is doing much better.

The only thing you can do is epsoms and time.. How much are you using? Tannins might help. Good luck!
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #3 
SolomonFinch

I have a product that contains tannins, but due to it's consistency I would be afraid to use it on her. It's almost a Melafix type product intended for other fishies.
She was alive when I left for work... off the bottom of the vase and lounging over the cord for the heater. After I put a dark towel around her vase last night, she calmed and sank to the bottom for several hours.
No idea how much epsom I used. I guessed at a teaspoon for a 16 ounce vase. (i used a glass vase to quickly dissolve the salts with an ititial shot of very hot water, then cooler water to get it to the normal 80)
I am afraid to feed her. The one thing I did not think ahead to stock was food for internal injury. I have Aqueon and some specialty pellets, both which contain garlic. Since garlic is a blood thinner, it freaks me out to give her what I have. All of her treats are freeze dried, and I would feel awful to make her decreasing bloat return.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #4 
SolomonFinch

It took me a month to get the sorority going amicably, but knowing the ferocity of the other fish (with whom she never had to fight for her place, she has always been older, larger, and just well, less interested in the others. What hurts my heart is that she was probably thinging i was playing a game with her when she slipped into the vacuum.) anyway, knowing the ferocity some of my girls are more than capable of, I dont think she can go back in. I pray she makes it through, if she does...I cannot see her returning to her former strength.

It appears her absence hasn't caused a reorganization in the sorority, so She will be getting her own tank...

this is my first sorority. i spent several nights rearrangling plants, hide aways, doing time outs, etc til I found the perfect balance...before that...it was like a pit of pirahnas. I am not sure if throwingf her back in EVER would be a great idea...she looked awful last night.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #5 
MSG

That's happened to Sorbetti (Purple/Orange)

That was probably why I stopped using the siphon for a few months. My curious betta was kinda small roughly 1.25" at the time.

Post a photo of your victim of the unexpected tube ride. If your photos are clear, I'll upload mine so we can compare which one looks worse.

Once I realized my betta went through, I stopped the flow immediately. Ran into the bathroom where the shower/tub is located. I think Sorbetti was missing about 8-12 scales after I "blow darted" the other end of the tube into a bucket.

Luckily she was small enough. I thought she was dead once I heard the "VOOP" type noise.

Sorbi was the last betta I picked out for the sorority. So I was really particular when I chose her as the final member.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #6 
SolomonFinch

I'll post photo's when I get home from work tonight. i need to read that post about picture taking for fish...
i hadn't thought to take photo's yet... i was just trying to keep her calm. If her breathing is still hard I don't think I will unwrap her vase just yet.
i know what you mean about becoming attached to a particular girl. she was actually among the first I chose, and one of two sole survivors from a batch of sickly poor little girls. she was just as fat, happy, and interactive as could be.
i have the tank in sitting on a pub high half wall, so i noticed a stoppage on my side (i was holding the siphon tube into the kitchen sink drain)
what i feel HORRIBLE about is that the water was down to 25%... so I fiddled around thinking the stoppage was normal. thank goodness something told me to walk into the other room to the tank's face. I started yelling and my hubby caught her in the kitchen.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #7 
MSG

You need full attention whenever you siphon.

The problem with bettas is they come in all sorts of colors. The nicer ones are usually purchased within hours. The thing that annoys me with sororities if your tank isn't large enough there'll be a ton of fighting in the beginning.

Since they can't scream for help, you need to actually plant yourself in front of the tank to observe the introduction & get involved before it's too late.

Before you attempt photos.
  • Clean the front of the tank with windex
  • Just get the brightest light you have & point it at the subject you're trying to photograph
  • Set your camera to ISO 400 or ISO 800.
  • Once you get better @ using your camera, you can lower the ISO setting.
  • If she's that damaged, then place her inside a cup & float inside the tank.

• I'm using a $150 Canon P&S camera (paid $50) @ 2MP & the lowest resolution setting
Whenever weird incidents like this happen, photos make it a more believable story once the victim has fully recovered.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #8 
SolomonFinch

I have a Fugi point and click digital, no bells and whistles. I purchased a nicer GE (believe it or not) for my daughter's Christmas gift, but she hasn't installed the software on the home desktop, only her yearbook staff one at school. She has taken a few photography classes, and her camera has a broad lense range because I couldn't afford a full blown professional set up.
maybe when she gets home from photographing two sporting events at the school tonight she will help me. I am a techno idiot.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #9 
SolomonFinch

with my fuji, the fish shots i take are either...blurry, too dark or just a flash and an angry fish.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #10 
Shadyr

First off....I'm sorry about your fish! That makes me super paranoid about using my siphon. My tank is new, so I've only done a few big changes where I brought it out, and this makes me think I need to make a cap for it before I use it again, because if they are anything, bettas are SUPER curious, and my sorority in the big tank is now 7 strong.

I do hope she recovers fully - it sounds like you are doing the right things.

On the pictures, does your cellphone have a camera? That's how I take most of my pictures, which to be fair are hardly award winning quality, but it is pretty good for general purposes. Most current cellphones have fairly high quality cameras in them, at least at the level of typical P&S standalones.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote