Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #1 
xxmarch

Question Is my tank the correct size?

Hello! I'm new to betta fish and I'm wondering if my tank is the correct size! also, do you HAVE to have a filter and a heater? I also got him a plant he can hide in! he also keeps flareing at his reflection and flareing too much is bad for him so will he just learn to accept his reflection?

Attached Images

xxmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #2 
AlphaBetta1

Well, how many gallons does that tank hold..it looks small to me. You don't have to have a filter, just frequent water changes...as for the heater, the water needs to be at 78-83 Fahrenheit. If the water is too cold you probably need to get a heater. He will stop flaring eventually. Also, nice Betta! Good luck.
AlphaBetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #3 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Do you know how much water the tank holds? A single betta needs at least 2.5 gallons or 10 litres to stay happy and healthy. In smaller tanks filters are not really recommended because it would create a lot of movement in the water which bettas do not like however filters are essential in larger tanks such as 5 gallons or 20 litres and anything larger. Regular water changes are extremely important whether or not you have a filter.

No matter what size your tank it is essential for bettas to have a heater, they will not live long without one. Like all tropical fish bettas cannot tolerate fluctuations in water temperature, not only do the water fluctuations cause the fish extreme stress but also compromises their immune system putting them at risk of all sorts of horrible illnesses.

Your betta flaring at his reflection will not harm him, he may become a bit stressed at first but he will soon get use to his reflection and in time will probably ignore it.

Hopefully that is of some help to you, don't hesitate to ask should you need further advice

Last edited by veggiegirl; 01-29-2013 at 07:35 PM.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #4 
Laki

Looks to be a gallon or less. I would either return it and get a larger tank or keep it as a temporary tank and later as a hospital tank.
If you're strapped for cash, invest in a heater first- then upgrade him. Warmer water is needed first :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #5 
xxmarch

I just looked and it was 65 ounces, some other people I asked said it was OK but I'll try to get the cash ASAP I'm only 13 and it's currently raining right now so I can't shovel people's driveways. And school is really stressing and all that wonderful stuff. :(

Edit: I almost forgot!!!!! My dad might have a 5 gallon fishtank that we had a long time ago! Plus it has a filter! I hope my dad will get it down for me! (Probably not..)

Last edited by xxmarch; 01-29-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: rembered something
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #6 
Laki

That's good!
You are on the right forum now :) There are a lot of myths surrounding betta fish keeping. One of which is that they enjoy small spaces. I don't mind temporarily keeping small tanks because I know what it's like being in a financial bind so education is paramount here. As long as you realise he needs a larger tank and are working towards that then you're okay.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #7 
xxmarch

OK thank you!

Tags
betta, betta fish, fish, tank, tank and tank care