Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Is this tank too small?
Yes it is! Get a bigger one right away! 11 91.67%
maybe.... 1 8.33%
Nope! It's not too small! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 
xxmarch

Question Is my tank too small?

Hello! I'm new to betta fish and I'm wondering if my tank is the correct size! also, do you HAVE to have a filter and a heater?

Attached Images

xxmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

In a very small container like that you would be better getting a heater. Temperature fluctuations occur very rapidly in small volumes of water and these can be harmful to your betta's health.

IMO I think that is too small for a permanent home. Do you know how many gallons it holds? I think if you only have a few bettas as pets, you really shouldn't need to be housing them in anything under one gallon. Even then, one gallon for me is the absolute bare minimum.

The difficulty with these small containers/tanks/bowls is that it can be very difficult to find a quality heater that will fit. Most of the heaters that are designed for them, only heat up to 5 or so degrees above room temperature so are not suitable at all as they contribute to temperature fluctuations.

For now I would just keep on top of water changes and ensure your water quality is as good as possible.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #3 
xxmarch

Thanks!

Thank you! Also how do I get a profile pic?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #4 
MSG

Looks like one of these.

I think these sell for about $12-$17 for the WHOLE kit at most local fish stores in the USA. I paid $3 for mine, had to trash the gravel, because it smelled like dead rotten fish mixed with cheap men's cologne. Pretty sure the previous fish that resided in there was forgotten & left in there to decay for a while.

Due to it's size (it's only holds about 64 oz or less), I would only use it during the summer because like LBF mentioned, you can't really fit any equipment in there.

Your tank is slightly different, but it looks about the same size in terms of the amount of water it will retain

This green betta cage came in handy during this past summer because I brought my red betta Diavolo outside with me while I was doing some yard work. I caught a few bugs trying to eat my flowers so I dropped them into her holding chamber.

Last edited by MSG; 01-29-2013 at 08:24 PM.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #5 
aemaki09

You should definitely have a heater. 78-82* is what bettas need to thrive.
I would also invest in atleast a 2.5 gallon. You can get them for $13 at petsmart.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

A 2 and a half gallon would be nice for you and your fish as you can enjoy watching him swim around and explore his home. You do not need a filter but you need to do more water changes without one. Betta are tropical fish so yes they do need a heater to keep their water steady at 76-82 degrees, 76 being the lowest. I have and adjustable heater and keep my 5 gallon at 79 degrees. Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #7 
xxmarch

To: MSG, yes so I liked at my tank to see how much it held it holds 65 ounces! A little bit more but not by much!