Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 
Lyshymo

Post Decoration "issue"? (Advice needed)

Long story short, I'm in the process of getting a new Betta (tomorrow night hopefully!) so that means I'm also in the process of setting up my new tank.
I bought a couple plants, which they're completely Betta-safe--and I also purchased a "Lookout Tower" made by Petco Essentials. It's a simple decoration that my future companion can swim through and "hide" in.

Now the "problem" I've encountered is that while I was setting my tank up (as in I was filling the tank with water), I noticed a couple orange colored rocks in my tank-which I thought was odd as I have white gravel, but the Lookout Tower is orange. I scooped out the orange rocks and put them on a paper towel and it spread like, excuse the lame yet only resemblance I have, wet chalk. I went ahead and removed the Tower and wiped it off with the paper towel and there was a very slight discoloration on the paper towel, but not as major as what I had scooped out of the rocks. I didn't find any chipped or abnormal spots, but am now skeptical about having that in my tank.

I couldn't find any links to it online to show you (not even on the Petco website). It was near the Betta-safe decor inside the store, but I guess that doesn't make it Betta safe.

Do you think I should remove the tower from my tank or should it be safe?

Thank you for all the advice/opinions!
Lyshymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thats not good I would not risk using it and would take it back and tell them about what happened when it got wet.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #3 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshymo View Post
Long story short, I'm in the process of getting a new Betta (tomorrow night hopefully!) so that means I'm also in the process of setting up my new tank.
I bought a couple plants, which they're completely Betta-safe--and I also purchased a "Lookout Tower" made by Petco Essentials. It's a simple decoration that my future companion can swim through and "hide" in.

Now the "problem" I've encountered is that while I was setting my tank up (as in I was filling the tank with water), I noticed a couple orange colored rocks in my tank-which I thought was odd as I have white gravel, but the Lookout Tower is orange. I scooped out the orange rocks and put them on a paper towel and it spread like, excuse the lame yet only resemblance I have, wet chalk. I went ahead and removed the Tower and wiped it off with the paper towel and there was a very slight discoloration on the paper towel, but not as major as what I had scooped out of the rocks. I didn't find any chipped or abnormal spots, but am now skeptical about having that in my tank.

I couldn't find any links to it online to show you (not even on the Petco website). It was near the Betta-safe decor inside the store, but I guess that doesn't make it Betta safe.

Do you think I should remove the tower from my tank or should it be safe?

Thank you for all the advice/opinions!
I think I know what you have..Is it like a 4" cylinder with round holes on it and it has 6" in purple??

If so, I would recommend removing it and return it to Petco. I tried putting my thumb through the item and it scratched my thumb. The workmanship is pretty bad on the inside, for sure. Since it scratched (almost paper-cut) my thumb, I decided not to get it so Iwas not aware that the color bleeds too. Definitely return if IMO.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #4 
Lyshymo

Thank you so much! The one I purchased was a bit more "dull" on the inside so I figured it wouldn't be all that bad, but I couple I saw there were definitely sharp on the inside.

Would you recommend re-cleaning and conditioning the tank? Or would it be fine?

And again, thank you both!
Lyshymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyshymo View Post
Thank you so much! The one I purchased was a bit more "dull" on the inside so I figured it wouldn't be all that bad, but I couple I saw there were definitely sharp on the inside.

Would you recommend re-cleaning and conditioning the tank? Or would it be fine?

And again, thank you both!
I would just in case the dyes contain toxins. If you have a cycled tank, at least 50% WC IMO
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #6 
NorthernLights

I know the exact item you mean! I agonized over getting one for my fish, but they felt like *something* was rubbing off when I handled them.

I agree with the others, take it back and get a refund.

It really is ridiculous how many aquarium decorations are unsuitable these days.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decor problem