Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #1 
WinnieTabz

betta scared of my finger when feeding

Whenever I try to feed my betta he keeps running away, its troubling to me because I don't really have time to watch and see if he'll eat the food. Is this something he needs to get and not be scared when I try to feed him? Is there a solution?
WinnieTabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #2 
Elsewhere

What are you feeding him? (Pellets, flakes, live food, etc)
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #3 
aemaki09

A couple of my bettas do this too, theres not much you can do other than letting them get accustomed to you, which can sometimes take a while, and moving your hand very slowly when feeding so that he can determine you are not a threat.

I'm sure he is eating them, dont worry too much!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #4 
waterdog

I wouldn't worry. I have one that absolutely will not eat until I close the lid on the tank. "Scaredy cat"! LOL
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Patience and time, that's the only thing that's really going to work. It took my female almost 3 months to regain her trust in my hands after she jumped out of her tank and I had to scoop her off the floor with my hands, and then again out of her tank after she sunk to the bottom when I put her back in.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #6 
babystarz

He is probably a bit traumatized, people treated him badly and scared him in the past and now he associates human hands with bad things. You just need to be patient with him. Leave the food for him and go about your day. He'll get used to you eventually and come to see that your fingers are good and bring him treats.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #7 
WinnieTabz

Yea hes kinda getting used to me i guess, i put my finger against the glass (about 2 inches away) and he just stares at it, but once i get closer to him he moves back and quickly runs away.
WinnieTabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

I have a betta who backs up from the glass when I move my finger towards him and comes closer when I pull my finger back. I feel like he's trying to square dance or something, lol.

But, the same fish has associated my fingers when I hold them above the water with food so he will follow them around. He also hovers around my hand when I have to move around decorations or try to take the thermometer out of his tank, LOL. I'm always scared to take out the thermometer because I feel like he's going to lunge at my hand expecting food.

But anyways, I get them to follow my finger by being patient and holding the pellets above the water until they come near my hand, then I drop the pellets really close to them. Eventually they learn that hand= food (when it's above the tank, lol).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote