Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Question 2 Quick Questions

1. In my 10g I had my male Betta, my 3 Otos and my Mystery Snail. My Betta recently had a run in with Fin Rot and he was put in a QT. My bottom dwellers were quite active when he was gone, but I soon noticed that my Otos were disappearing. I asked about them on another site more focused on other fish and they believed it was the ammonia levels from the snails that got them... That has been taken care of, by the way. My Betta has always been aggressive, but he has never touched the Otos. There was still one left when he went back into the 10g. Do you think that he killed the last one? I also couldn't find any bodies in the water change after he came back in. Did he eat them? I had to move the Mystery Snail out, my Betta was biting his antennae off :/ I won't be housing anything else with him, but do you think he killed off that last Oto and then disposed of the bodies?

2. I am getting a new used tank soon (it was my aunt's and is in perfect condition) and it could range from 5 gallons and up. I was thinking it would be around 15 or 20 gallons, I don't know yet- is that good for a sorority? I have read the sorority thread on this page, but I just wanted reinforcements on what the number of girls I could put in there would be and how heavily to plant it.

Thank you for reading this, please respond quickly!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #2 
blu the betta

you could have a sorority in a 10 gal. i think 10 gal. is the least.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #3 
Saphira101

10 gallons is the absolute minimum for a sorority.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #4 
Elsewhere

I don't think I want one in a 10g, it just seems a little small. I've heard better success stories with 15g and up. The bare minimum for the number of females in 5, correct?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #5 
eatmice2010

Can you post a pic of your bettas tank ?
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #6 
Elsewhere

Eatmice2010- the one with the aggressive Betta or the new one? (I don't have the new one, getting it tomorrow, but if you were asking about that one I can post tomorrow)
Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #7 
eatmice2010

sorry, The one with the aggressive Betta lol :)
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #8 
Elsewhere

Sorry about my cat aha. I walked in on this last month... It's the only pic of the tank how it was when the Otos started disappearing, the decor changes every two weeks when I clean the plants. (Note: weekly changes for one, twice weekly for another- plant cleanings every two weeks for both). It isn't a very good shot, but it's the best one I have :P
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #9 
eatmice2010

hmm.... that's weird i wonder were the otos went. Nice tank though :)
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

I have noticed that sometimes, when fish die and the bodies can't be found, they do end up being found later during big tank cleanings. Maybe they hid themselves well when they died? I think if a Betta were to eat another fish, they would have obvious bloating issues. I have seen loaches clean up dead bodies but I wouldn't assume a Betta would be capable given the size of their stomachs.

Also, I've had fish disappear before and found them months later dried up to the back of the shelf the tank was sitting on. I'm not familiar with Otos, though, so I don't know if they can jump or not (actually I don't have a clue what they even look like).

I would test the water religiously for ammonia spikes in case there are any traces of dead/decaying fish. And sororities, minimum size is 10 gallon and minimum of 4 girls... More is better. You could do 7 or 8 in a 15 gallon. They will likely have less aggression issues if there are more of them, and I'd consider where you will purchase them from and what you will QT them all in before getting started and heavily plant the tank. A heavily decorated 10 gallon would work better than a lightly decorated 15 gallon.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote