Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #1 
Mirage23

SBD not going away

I have a previous thread on this. Basically, Sweetie is not getting over her SBD. It'll come and go and I've done Epsoms already. I wanted to try medication but first I want to know what medication would I have to use? Could this be bacterial that I would need medication? How can I tell if it's bacterial? She's in Epsom right now in a 1 gallon. 100% change, she's pooping normal. She has been fasted for 3 days and I fed her one pellet this morning.(normally she eats 2-3). Yesterday she was perfectly fine and then again today she goes back to her floating at the top thing... She's still lively but her colors are a little dull. She's still playful and responds well but still has her SBD. I don't know what to do. Should I try medication now?
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #2 
callistra

More info please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Can you please share photos?

So poop is the same color as the pellets?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #3 
Mirage23

She's fine again...
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon but she's has been QT in a gallon tank for a while. She's in a breeders net now in the 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? Yep
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?yep
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Other females

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top fin pellets (yes I'm changing it soon) and brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day. 2 pellets in the morning and evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25%- 30% once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Petco guy said everything was normal
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Only when she's strugglin do her colors get dull but if he bump up the temp for her she gets her colors back or when she's upright again her colors are back
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all except she gets tired when she can't swim downward.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Quite some time. At least 2 weeks ago, I can't remember it feels like forever
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Epsom Salt and a fast
Does your fish have any history of being ill? She gets like this often. When we first got her she did this.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably a year.

When we first got her she was fine but later that night she had a curved spine and struggled to swim. Then she got better out of no where and has been good since until about over 2 weeks ago she started again except it comes and goes more frequently. She's still her silly self and her SBD isn't horrible I don't think because she can still swim down but her butt floats upward. I stopped feeding her brine shrimp and her SBD issues seem to not last as long but are still there. Whenever her tummy bloats or is big her body is in an S shape. Right now I can see her swimming at the bottom being cute and curious.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #4 
Mirage23

Yeah poop is the same color as pellets
Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage23 View Post
I have a previous thread on this. Basically, Sweetie is not getting over her SBD. It'll come and go and I've done Epsoms already. I wanted to try medication but first I want to know what medication would I have to use? Could this be bacterial that I would need medication? How can I tell if it's bacterial? She's in Epsom right now in a 1 gallon. 100% change, she's pooping normal. She has been fasted for 3 days and I fed her one pellet this morning.(normally she eats 2-3). Yesterday she was perfectly fine and then again today she goes back to her floating at the top thing... She's still lively but her colors are a little dull. She's still playful and responds well but still has her SBD. I don't know what to do. Should I try medication now?
How much Epsom salt is in the tank? I don't see a specific number.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #6 
Mirage23

oh 1tsp
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #7 
Mirage23

Shes still alive. She's out of the Epsom. But still had issues. She tries so hard to swim normal I feel so bad for her
Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

What issues does she still have?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #9 
Mirage23

all of them and now popeye. she's not bloated.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #10 
callistra

1tsp in a 10g? that won't help anything.. it's 1tsp per gallon.

I would not trust petco "all okay" response. I would ask for actual numbers and insist on using a drops kit, or get one yourself.

How many bettas is she living with?

Do your water changes include a siphon?

She needs to be QTed (float in tank is fine) and treated with 1 tsp per gallon epsoms and a gram positive antibiotic. Kanaplex, Triple Sulfa or Furan 2.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote