Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #1 
cheb01

is this fin rot and how to cure

So is this finrot? How do I cure, and how do I know when it is getting better. Went to pet store where I got my fish, and they gave me something to put in the water which I did yesterday, but the little tear in the fin has now ripped. I attached 2 pics, pin hole day 1, tear day 2, and a rip (which I don't have a pic of)...I also provived some info, but don't know the names of some things since I am at work and everything is at home.
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80-82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega Betta Pellets, and just got frozen blood worms, but not sure how to feed it to him
How often do you feed your betta fish? I thought I was supposed to do 5 pellets twice a day, but then kept reading 5 pellets in total, so I started to switch, but today he did not eat

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Just got tank 5 days ago, so haven’t done a big water change yet…did a little one when ammonia was slightly elevated
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? N/A yet
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? A water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: in between .0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: ?
Hardness: soft
Alkalinity: low

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Pin hole in his tail, then a bigger hole, now it looks like it ripped entirely
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He didn’t eat this morning, and sometimes he swims around the tank really really fast
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Went to pet store and the recommended these tablets you put in the tank – 1 every 4 days. I put one in yesterday.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? DK
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for 4 days
Attached Images

cheb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #2 
callistra

The ends actually look like fin melt, which is a condition caused by chronic bad water. Are you sure this only happened since you put him in this 10g? Is everything in this tank new? Did you rinse everything really well with water and no chems before putting it in?

It's also possible some of it is rip, but the balling of the ends is rot. I would remove every fake plant and ornament from your tank and test it one by one by dragging women's panty hose through them thoroughly. If anything snags it's too sharp and needs to either be sanded down until it doesn't snag or removed/replaced.

Exactly what tablets are you putting in the tank?

I would use Prime as your conditioner during cycling.

You should be testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and doing a 50% change anytime you see any of either. In addition to this, a 50% change with siphon is needed weekly. Cycling will take up to two months. I also highly suggest using a good drops kit and not strips, which are unreliable for testing.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #3 
cheb01

the ends looked like that when I got him (last wednesday), but thought it was normal, but was thinking something could be wront....the hole started Friday night, then it became a tear on Saturday, but couldn't do anything because we had a blizzard (live in Mass), went to pet store on Sunday. I check levels every day with strips. (I will switch to liquid) I rinsed everything that went into the tank. Live plants came from a Fish pet store that were in an aquarium. The fake plants are silk. The decoration didn't seem like it was snaggy, but I will check with pantyhose just to be safe. the tablet I put in the tank is for multiple health issues it is called tetra fungus guard. Should I NOT be using that?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #4 
callistra

He was probably kept in really poor conditions in the pet store which caused the fin melt. that really should be healed before you start cycling.

Tetra Fungus Guard is a really harsh medication with two good antibiotics and a carcinogenic chemical (not actual med) so for that reason I wouldn't use it personally. However, since you already started I would continue a full round which is 4 days.. make sure the carbon is out of your filter, after you dose one tablet, wait 4 days, then readd carbon or do another 100% change and reevaluate if you need to QT with salt or he's healed. I doubt one dose will be enough so he will probably need more treatment.

Also be aware the medication may kill off your plants, causing more ammonia spikes than normal.

If he is still not well after the fungus guard, I would get a 2-3 gallon kritter keeper, fill it half full and float in the main tank for warmth. I would do 100% changes in that kritter keeper daily, by using water from the 10g so it's always the same and won't shock. I would also treat with 1 tsp per gallon aquarium salt in the QT (not in main tank as plants can't do salt). You should predissolve it and you only need to redose with a water change. Do this for up to 10 days and at this point you should see the fin melt go away and you should see some regrowth of his tail.

Last edited by callistra; 02-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #5 
cheb01

okay I will try this...I did take the carbon out of the filter. And I will keep an eye on my plants.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #6 
cheb01

before pinhole

So this pic was taken on day1 or day2 of when we got him. no pinhole, just rough looking fins
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #7 
callistra

His fins appear have melted since you got him. You can see the little balls now that weren't there and more regression, but he has the start of rot there too.

I'm guessing he had the start of fin rot which has progressed, and the hole is rip
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #8 
cheb01

so are you saying the hole/rip is NOT part of the fin rot? I will check his decoration with pantyhose, this could be the cause of it? Is that treated the same way as the fin rot?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #9 
callistra

It looks like that part in particular he's snagged on something in the tank.

Treatment would not include medication but the frequent water changes and other things would be the same.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #10 
cheb01

okay thanks - that makes me even more sad that he snagged his fin...I was really careful about what I put in the tank, but I will check his decoration with pantyhose (since I did not do that)...